Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1998 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance and I am looking to replace the worn out factory shocks it came with. I am planning on converting over to a conventional suspension, but I'm worried that the ride might not be anywhere close to the original. Any thoughts? Suggestions on a good brand of replacement shocks?

Thanks!

First Time Cadillac Owner

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Judging by your $ticker shock reference, I'm guessing your D'elegance has the Active Suspension (I forgot the RPO code for it). If you choose to go to the passive strut/shocks route, some of the STS owners use Arnott products. You could also go Monroe, from what I've read there as well. Both stiffen the ride, but that's just what I've read here. I am not yet at that bridge. I'm glad my Deville is passive, as apposed to my SLS which has the active suspension like the STS.

You can do all 4 corners, passive for a under $800. Parts only.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville D'Elegance
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do have the active suspension and I was pretty blown away by the price tag of an OEM replacement. I knew that Cadillac parts were going to be more expensive, but $500 apiece to replace seems quite pricey. Anyway, thanks for the info and I'm going to do a little more research before making my final decision.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
"Cadillac" parts are no more expensive, depending on model, than any other sophisticated luxury car parts would be. Get into your favorite parts site and surf through comparable Lexus or Mercedes parts.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
There's no reason the OP shouldn't be hesitant about sticking $2k into a 13 year old car whether it's Cadillac or not. It's never wise to invest more than a car is worth, considering it could get wrecked tomorrow on the way to work. $2k is a LARGE chunk of what this car is worth.

Now, this stuff WOULD probably be a little easier to swallow on a Mercedes or Lexus, as they hold their value MUCH better than a comparable Cadillac.

To the OP, to actually answer your question asked, look here. Many have used these products with great success: http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CADILLAC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid6.html

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,648 Posts
Before your edit...........no "bashing" seen, intended, or assumed - Cadillac parts cost more than Corolla parts (for the most part).

Right now my car is worth KBB retail of just over $10,000. A similar Mercedes S500 is $10,500 to $13,000 depending on the pricing site. Somewhat better for value retained, but not "MUCH"............

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
Before your edit...........no "bashing" seen, intended, or assumed - Cadillac parts cost more than Corolla parts (for the most part).

Right now my car is worth KBB retail of just over $10,000. A similar Mercedes S500 is $10,500 to $13,000 depending on the pricing site. Somewhat better for value retained, but not "MUCH"............
Yeah, sometimes hard to tell from the etiquette you portray in some of your responses. I edited out, being unsure what that one was about.

I agree, for Cadillac -> Corolla

That may be your particular case...definitely not true with a 1998 Deville. Hell, on the street, a even 1998 Corolla might be worth just as much as a 1998 Deville!

That pricing gap between your Cadillac and the Mercedes (and Lexus) will increase as the car ages. Try again in 5 years and see where it's at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts