Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my '00 STS is new to me,,and I'm having a ball looking around the site ,I came across posts on codes and decided to see what came up on mine.The only ones were history codes U1016 ,U 1000 ,both referring to loss of class 2 comm. and U1300 class 2 short to ground and B1324 ac compressor overpressure,both history codes as well.Due to my ignorance, are these anything I should be concerned about? Could the short to ground have anything to do with a errant fuel sending unit reading funny at times? Thank you for any help you might offer.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,015 Posts
Many "U" codes can be set by pulling battery power. Done that lately?

Compressor overpressure might concern me a little more. Any problems with the A/C?

Since they are historical, clear them and see if they return. The B1324 might only be current when the A/C is on. Might want to run the codes in that mode if it returns.

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't done a thing with the battery,,have had the car less than a week. The AC runs great at all temps,,not a problem ( yet I hope) what should I be looking for in this area?I have alot more 'lernin to do since I'm not quite sure what you mean by running codes. Is there somewhere I can go to find info and learn more about these types of things without having to bother you guys with ignorant questions till I get up to speed?

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Haven't done a thing with the battery,,have had the car less than a week. The AC runs great at all temps,,not a problem ( yet I hope) what should I be looking for in this area?I have alot more 'lernin to do since I'm not quite sure what you mean by running codes. Is there somewhere I can go to find info and learn more about these types of things without having to bother you guys with ignorant questions till I get up to speed?
"Running codes" is pulling the eror codes you started this thread with - can be done through the dashboard or with a scan tool. I highly recommend a factory service manual (FSM) if you are planning on keeping the car or doing any work yourself. The FSM for my 99 STS talks about possible A/C pressure sensor connection or wiring problems for a B1324 code as alternatives if the A/C itself is working OK. I've had my 99 for 5 months and I periodically pull the codes, check them, write them down and clear them. You can come up with a bunch of random codes that set and then go away for no apparent reason, so if the car doesn't have a problem I wait for them to come back. So far the only constant one for me has been for a bad seat lumbar position sensor. The gas gauge is a $200+ fix to replace a defective sensor. In the meantime use the "Fuel Used" portion of the trip computer and reset at every fillup. You will not get a low fuel warning or accurate gas gauge reading with the bad sensor. :rant2:

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your imput.I did do as you suggest and kept the codes then cleared them,,I'll see if they come back.Today was the first time I really had to play with the car.Changed all fluids,oil mobil 1 syn. (dealer did it,,but now I know what's in it) cooling,,looked perfect,,but did the dex-cool,,5 tabs and 2 tubes gold seal,,trans kit,,only the suggestion of a light coat on the magnet,,deep red color,air and fuel filters and a bottle of techron.Fuel guage seems to be working now,,other than that I guess all I have to do is drive the car and have a ball.( and keep reading all the posts and get a manual) thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I thought so too,,but it was in the tech tips and after my experience with my Concours I figured an ounce of prevention....nothing like overkill,,though with the head gaskets/bolts ,,nothing really would have prevented it

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Changed all fluids,oil mobil 1 syn. (dealer did it,,but now I know what's in it)
Just remember to check your oil regularly - the Northstar eats oil by design and according to posts I've read here it eats synthetic faster than regular dino oil. My 99 STS was eating a quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles at first but has slowed down to 1/2 quart every thousand recently.

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,,great info and site even for a newbie.Had a 94 deville ,,5 yrs..didn't use a drop,,go figure,,I"ll keep an eye on this one as well,,thanks again.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,079 Posts
:thumbsup: Take care of it, drive it strongly but carefully (don't beat it up), do a WOT once in a while, and your oil consumption will go 'way down. My '02 STS consumes (no leaks anywhere) a quart of Pennzoil synthetic 5W-30 every 3,500+ miles of mostly rural/highway driving. Oil consumption varies all over the place in every car line, so get used to your car and don't sweat the small stuff. (BTW....if you're in an emissions testing state or county, don't clear the DIC codes for 3 weeks or a month before going in for a test. The system needs to stabilize before they plug into the OBD II port, or else it will throw a "codes not ready for test" code, and you'll have to wait and come back in a couple of weeks....)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts