Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my caddy to death, but it is making me mad. When I am driving it, It wants to rev hard at idle in park, and the revs keep up in drive and it's like having cruise control cause it will maintain the speed and sometimes increase with out using any pedal. When putting it into neutral, it'll go to 2000-2100 rpm, instead of the regular 950-1100. Any ideas, thanks guys and girls. By the way -> 1992 4.9L Seville 175K, oh yeah baby!:banana:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Possibly a throttle position sensor? First thing that I thought of!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
If the throttle lever is NOT resting on the throttle stop screw, disconnect the throttle lever from the cable to verify any cable-related issues. If it's still not on the stop screw with the cable disconnected, the throttle blades are probably jambing up on carbon build-up in the bore. This would indicate that the bore and blades need cleaning (very common). If the throttle lever is resting against the idle stop screw, and the engine is still racing, the issue is most likely with the IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid. It maybe dirty and jambing (most likely scenario), or it maybe malfunctioning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts