Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an extremely high pitched whine/whistle in my wagon that I think is coming from the sound system... maybe the Bose sub.

I hear with the key off and sound system off. I'll open the car door, and it starts. Hard to pin-point the directions, but maybe the cargo area.

Anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,187 Posts
Never heard of this. If you think it is sound system related, try pulling the proper fuse or you can disconnect the wiring harness in the spare tire area on the Bose unit.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,339 Posts
A sub is going to be hard pressed to make much in the higher pitch ranges. Possibly an issue with some of the electronic modules that are in the back of the car? How high pitched is it? Is it higher/about the same/lower pitched than an electronic camera flash charging up?

----------

Never heard of this.
At your age, higher pitched sounds are no longer discernible, hence why you've never "heard" of it. :)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,187 Posts
At your age, higher pitched sounds are no longer discernible, hence why you've never "heard" of it. :)
A quote from the voice of experience.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a very high pitched tone. Getting into the dog whistle end of the spectrum. Pitch doesn't change either. It's not like a capacitor charging that ramps up.
I haven't really spent any time trying to pinpoint it yet. Figured I'd ask around thinking it might be a common issue.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6 RWD LY7, FE2
55 Posts
does it continue to make noise after the headlights turn off? after you remove the key the headlights will stay on for about 30 seconds, you can manually flick the lights backward to turn them off. I have heard my car do this but usually only with the door open right after turning the car off. I never really gave it much thought.

What i hear may not be the same thing you are hearing.

12,778 Posts
Good morning AcceleratiIncredibus,

That noise does sound like it would be aggravating and I’m sorry you are dealing with it. It looks as if you’ve received quite a bit of feedback from the forum already, but if you are considering consulting with a dealership I would be happy to assist with the process. Please feel free to send a PM my way if you’d like to explore this avenue further.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the concern cust svc.

I just recently purchased the car, from an out of state Cadillac dealer. No existing factory warranty, so I’m in no rush to get a dealer involved. I am working with that dealer to get the maintenance history. They did mention the stereo was replaced at one point, so there might be a connection.

I’ve made almost no effort to track down the problem myself. It’s not particularly annoying or frustrating… yet. Although my dogs might feel otherwise should I ever give them a ride.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So... this evening I'm driving home listening to some tunes. Hit the mute button to make a phone call. Un-mute the system and I notice the bass is gone. Dang.

Power cycled the system a couple of times to see if that would fix the issue. No luck.

Get home, leave the key in the assy position and pop the hatch. Check the sub woofer in the spare tire compartment. No bass. Hmmm....

Unplugged the subwoofer and I hear the pop/thump of it powering down, so I know it was getting power. Plug it back in and I notice the high pitch whine in the background, and that whine is coming from the speakers. Both the ones in the cargo area, and those in the rear doors. Don't seem to hear it in the front speakers.

So it seems the subwoofer is back feeding the noise into the system. Whether or not is is working at all now, or just not getting a signal from the cross-over I don't know. That's going to require a bit more diagnostic work. Could be a problem with the cross-over. If it doesn't fix itself in the next day, I'll hot wire the sub into my home system to test it.

EDIT/UPDATE: Testing the car an hour or two later and the bass is back.

·
Registered
14,187 Posts
I had a similar type of problem. Turning the car off/on reboots the electronics. You may be now be free of that gremlin...I am. It only happened twice to me some time ago and she's gone.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sport Wagon 3.6
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The gremlin had a reappearance last night. Made hands free Bluetooth call, and after hanging up the bass was gone. Parked the car at my destination for a bit and it was working again upon restart.
Then today while driving down the highway, I switched from XM to HDD and all sound quit. Couldn't get it playing against with any combination of buttons. After driving for a 100 miles, made a stop. Shut the car off for about five minutes. Upon restart, everything worked again.
So the temporary fix is easy, but really inconvenient.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 3.6 LY7
236 Posts
I had a similar problem where only my center sub and rear doors speakers were working. When I came out of the restaurant and started the car back up. Everything worked okay.. Hasn't happened since.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts