Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 cadillac sedan deville and it hit 200,000 miles yesterday someone told me that cadillac's are known for thier engine to go out when it hit 200,000 miles, should i be worried about the engine going out?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
nah.....you can't trust blanket statements like that.

Sure its gonna start eating parts, but there are many engines with 200K+ 300k+, just look in the "high mileage thread" on this forum.

Keep it well maintained and things should be cool......but it is a high mileage car so expect some problems.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
540 Posts
most people are ignorant and wait for something to break. Check your oil and fluids, listens for off noises while driving and baby it and it will be fine.

·
Registered
96 Concours, 90 Deville
112 Posts
Our 90 Deville started developing a low-end knock around 90k miles - when the engine is accelerating it sounds like "di-di-di-di-di-di-di." We were advised that the engines went bad at 100k and that we should sell it ASAP. Well now it has 160K miles on it an it's my commuter car. Still running strong.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That statement is ignorant and retarded, I am willing to bet a nice amount of money that the person who said that doesn't own a cadillac.

Some people who are envious and/or ignorant make stupid statements like those above.

An engine can fail at anytime whether it be 10,000 miles or 350,000 miles on it.

A good enine is all about luck you can baby it to death and have an engine crap out at 25,000 with a headgasket problem or you can neglect the hell out of it and make it get to 500,000.

Just drive at steady speeds don't rev up the engine too often and youll be sure to have a good engine on your hands for some time to come.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Why worry about it. It isn't worth much IF you could sell it and IF the engine is going to "go out", there is not much you can do about it anyway. Just maintain it and drive it. She'll probably give you another 100K.

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
my dads 87 FWD 4100 motor has a lifter mallot knock and has 282,000 kilometers on it and is still running strong. The knock has been present since he has purchased the car 8 years ago, the engine has never been touched mechanically, no headgasket repairs, nothing, just common things. Its a common knock in the 4100's. My 4100 in my 87 has 94,000 miles and has the same knock but twice as loud, present only wen warm, no powerloss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts