Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
It's about time i upgraded my wheels and i'm heavily considering a 2007 CTS 3.6L under or around 50,000 miles (several to chose from). I really like the car but just want to make sure it is able to hold up to to the long term. I'm sure there are some on this forum who have put alot of miles (100k+?) on this car and I'm curious how it and your wallet hold up

If you don't mind please post your mileage and any problems/issues/expenses you have or have had. I'd like to reassure myself that these things are built to last

(The other car i'm considering is a slightly newer camry :canttalk: heresy i know, but it's pretty quick, comfortable and there's no doubting its reliability. hate that fwd though)

Thanks for helping out a new forum member and new buyer

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
welcome to the forum.
i wont comment on toyota.......

the CTS is a great car and great to drive, my 03 cts is at 140-150KM (Canada eh) and shes running great.
i think my biggest expence with it is all the mods i do and want to do.
there are a few recalls on the 07 and one just came out to reprogram the computer to tell you to change oil more often.
the CTS has diferential issues and some have timing chain issues.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im in an 03 CTS and Im at 105,000 and she runs like shes brand new. The only money realy spent has been on the usual preventive maintence and mods ive done..and alot of speeding tickets!!! lmao

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black 1SC
493 Posts
I am currently at 123,000 miles on my 2004 CTS and have only completed maintenance items (oil, brakes, anti freeze, etc) - including the 100,000 service. I have had zero failures of any sort with this car (crossing fingers) and it continues to run strong, excellent car.

·
Registered
05 CTS
1,395 Posts
Welcome, as ghettomike said, there are some recalls and dif issues. I recently changed my diff. That is the only legit expense (other than routine maintenance) I had that was not caused by MODs, my wifes driving or a mechanic's stupidity :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts
I have 161 000 miles on my 05 3.6l and except the timing chain and the rear seal, the car's been a charm!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts and please keep them coming!

Been reading up about the timing chain thing and the differential thing cause they seem common. Sounds like the differential is mostly luck? (if you get a good one it should last?). As for the timing chain are there warning signs or is it just standard replacement intervals?

My main concern is as i first mentioned im looking to buy used with 40-50k miles and I'm a bit concerned that right about this time or shortly after the chain or differential needs to be replaced (maybe thats why the previous owner chose to upgrade?). No one wants the car they just bought to spend time and money in a shop right?

And its hard to trust anyone who is selling you a used car

·
Registered
'09 Chrysler 300C, *''03 CTS is gone"
235 Posts
Got 52000 miles on my 3.2.
Engine runs great. I only changed the timingbelt. But i have a little problem with my diff, its whining, but just quietly.

I drive the car nearly every day over 150 mph on the "Autobahn".
And in the city im driving very sporty most of the time too.
The diff damage is the result of hitting donuts. But actually a diff should take this, so I'm a little disappointed.
Apart from that its a quit tough car.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black 1SC
493 Posts
Got 52000 miles on my 3.2.
Engine runs great. I only changed the timingbelt. But i have a little problem with my diff, its whining, but just quietly.

I drive the car nearly every day over 150 mph on the "Autobahn".
And in the city im driving very sporty most of the time too.
The diff damage is the result of hitting donuts. But actually a diff should take this, so I'm a little disappointed.
Apart from that its a quit tough car.

150mph or 150 kmh ? Dont make me call BS again on here...

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
He's in germany, and they aren't limited there. the 3.2 can get to 150mph.

This is the 2.6, the smaller european version of the 3.2

·
Registered
'09 Chrysler 300C, *''03 CTS is gone"
235 Posts
No, got me rigt, 150 mph. There are no Speedlimits in Germany, its no problem going that fast on the speedlane.
I have to drive over a 3 lane "Autobahn" wich goes a little downhill to get to work, so i really can drive the car to the limit.
I'll make a video soon.

·
Registered
2013 Acura ILX / 2011 Camaro LS
1,007 Posts
I have 51k miles, I've had to replace the master cylinder, lower control arms and an ignition coil. By the time my loan is paid I should have about 150,000 miles on mine based on my driving so I'm def in for the long haul lol. CTS has proven to be a pretty reliable car, I was actually surprised at the problems I had this year (Master Cylinder, Ignition Coil both went out within a week of each other). I'm hoping that is it. I maintain my car to the book, if not a little better (I don't trust the recommended just change the oil until 100k service except the diff)

·
Registered
CTS 2,8 l
230 Posts
There is something that isn't right her.

The European cts with the 3.2 has at top speed of 230 Kmt. witch is 143 mph. In some littérateur I find 240 kmt.
i have the 2.8 and it is rated to 212 I think
The 2.6 has at top speed of 206 kmt. that is 128 mph.

I am just waiting for an opportunity to try my car om the Autobahn.

On a side note, I have an old (don't shoot me down) Chrysler Lebaron cab. with a 2,5l. 4 syl. and turbo, it did 120 mph with the TOP down on the autobahn. That was fun.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I don't think the top speed limit is based on engine. I think its based on packages that came with the car.
Here in America, the top speed for the luxury model is 130, and the top speed for the Performance package is ~140

·
Registered
14 Posts
my 2004 cts 3.6 has 214,000 miles my tranny just went ,factory service GM with 3 yr warranty $3,100......car was running good and now had the reduced engine
power came on had the throttle body cleaned and seemed to be ok no more stepping on accelerator and no response,now while in park the rpms jump up and its a
ruff idle only in park while driving its ok and stopping at light no problem,HELP

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
If the trans just went... what else can we do? Might need a new trans.
At 214k miles... it was most likely a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts