Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i am driving around town, the idle kicks up to about 1500rpm.

there are no error codes but sometimes the check engine light comes on.

when I shut the car off and come back to it the idle is normal but kicks back up in a very short time.

???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the response, it seems the light only tells you that a problem is present followed by an error code, there is no code present.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
If the Check Engine light came on, there is a DTC stored that will tell you why the Check Engine light came on.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Try cleaning the throttle body first. Take the air duct off, hold the throttle blade wide open and spray the backside of the blade and throttle body bore with carb cleaner and scrub with an old tooth brush. As the deposits build up they can sometimes restrict the movement of the throttle blade just at idle causing problems with low idle, stalling, or high idle if the deposits get really bad and catch the blade before it returns completely.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
What were those codes in history? Some codes will only show up as current if you check for codes right after the car is driven, then when you start up again the code will be history untill you drive again and the problem persists.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts