Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am a newbie to this I just joined today. I have a question about an 1989 Eldorado, My service engine light just came on and now when I start my car it runs at a very high idle, about 3500 rpm until I put it in gear and drive a little.It then idles down and seem's to run ok.any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Papi.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Welcome aboard papi,
Go into your On Board Diagnostics and check for codes, then post what you find here. You are probably looking at either an electronic-related issue such as a bad TPS or ISC, or you could just have a binding throttle cable or something similar. If you have no codes, I'd check for the "mechanical" issues.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1989 seville
9 Posts
I get this on my 89 seville. It sometimes will idle really high, and even higher in neutral. The only messages it showed up were concerning cruise control and pcv valce. Replaced the valve, and I know cruise control is still out of wack so it could be the CC or a binding throttling cable.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Log onto the sticky's regarding retrieving codes, then post back. Could be as simple as a weak throttle return spring! Also please post year and type of car in your profile signature.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts