Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who swapped out the bulbs in their fogs noticed any problems with the brighter/hotter bulbs? Any apparent damage to the fog light lenses? Did everyone use the OEM high beam bulb or has anyone used an after-market bulb?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
I used the oem replacement highbeam bulbs (sylvanias from PepBoys). So far I've noticed no problems with them. Its kind of cool though, my "fogs" are brighter than my lowbeam headlights, though they dont extend as far as the regular headlights. They are bright enough in fact that I could drive around the city with the fogs only. I know I've seen someone else with this mod on thier cts b/c they were running fogs only, no headlights at night and they were way brighter than normal fogs.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I think me and the Doc are the only two active members to do this. I got the idea from Gothicleigh last year. No problems here. No melt downs.:p

I recommend it. Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I might do this...sounds interesting.

Have any of you replaced the "Capsule guide lamp #194" It bugs me that I have nice bright white xenons, and there there is that little dim yellow light in the corner. Do they make small bulb's that are bright white for replacement?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
shaft said:

Have any of you replaced the "Capsule guide lamp #194" It bugs me that I have nice bright white xenons, and there there is that little dim yellow light in the corner. Do they make small bulb's that are bright white for replacement?
Shaft,
You talking about the little triagular light in the headlight assembly? That's not as easy to get to as the Fog bulbs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, I know you have to take the bumper off, but if i could find replacements for these I might convince myself to do it and change my brights to whites also.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
shaft said:

I remember seeing this discussed in a thread a while back. The thread was about replacing various bulbs with LED's. There was a website linked, which did carry LEDs that could fit that spot. It'd be a bitch to replace them though. And they were pricy, I think about $30+ each.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
shaft said:
Yeah, I know you have to take the bumper off, but if i could find replacements for these I might convince myself to do it and change my brights to whites also.
I guess the first step is to find out what type of base the bulb has and start from there. I'd be interested. I need to check the service manual to see if it has anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
I remember seeing this discussed in a thread a while back. The thread was about replacing various bulbs with LED's. There was a website linked, which did carry LEDs that could fit that spot. It'd be a bitch to replace them though. And they were pricy, I think about $30+ each.

Yeah this site...
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/AUT194/

Those are the "replacement" leds for that bulb type (#194). But looking at them it not really somthing you would put in a clear housing, is it? I need to search around more.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
shaft said:
Yeah this site...
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/AUT194/

Those are the "replacement" leds for that bulb type (#194). But looking at them it not really somthing you would put in a clear housing, is it? I need to search around more.
SHAFT,
MAYBE THINK ABOUT STARTING YOUR OWN THREAD:bouncy:
I think it will get more attention by itself. Are those called running lights or parking lights?

·
Registered
292 Posts
According to cadillacfaq.com they are just called "Capsule guide lamp #194". Although the led site they have linked there doesnt have the round type bulb that other site does. Sorry if I hijacked this thread, was meant to be a quick question. At least its still about lights in general :) I have all the answers now.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
shaft said:
According to cadillacfaq.com they are just called "Capsule guide lamp #194". Although the led site they have linked there doesnt have the round type bulb that other site does. Sorry if I hijacked this thread, was meant to be a quick question. At least its still about lights in general :) I have all the answers now.
NO NO SHAFT,
THIS DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD. SHARE IT WITH OTHERS.:bouncy:

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
shaft, do you think there is any other color that would look good besides white on the copper cts. i have the copper as well and was jsut thinking about getting a different color, but i can't think of one that would fit our cars

·
Registered
292 Posts
:hmm: Not really, I just want it to match with the xenon. Having a nice bright white xenon and then a dingy yellow bulb just looks bad in my opinion.

Glad to see another member with copper sunburst. :highfive:

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I have looked into this, there are several color options available. I've seen red, blue, green, purple and what they call bright white. The toughest part is going to install and then look at all the color variations to see what you like. I'm thinking the blue with cool blue sylvannia's in my fogs would be slick, but bright white and Silver Stars in the fogs is probably the more expensive look(not that we think about that, right!)

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Many past members switched these small bulbs with LED's. A member that I can think off off-hand was Moonstone Mike but he has not been on here in a while. There was no issue swapping them and the reason he swapped them was because the stock bulb looked almost yellow next to his HID's. (We both updated to HID's at the same time) The LED's were much whiter and matched much better but they were still not a perfect match.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts