Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there,
I will be installing a set of HID's onto my CTS this weekend and would like to know if I will have to change the size of my headlight fuses to a higher amount? Basically, is it necessary to up the size of the light fuses to a higher amount size since I will be adding hid kits to my fogs and low beams?
Thanks.......

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Short answer: no.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
274 Posts
Hello out there,
I will be installing a set of HID's onto my CTS this weekend and would like to know if I will have to change the size of my headlight fuses to a higher amount? Basically, is it necessary to up the size of the light fuses to a higher amount size since I will be adding hid kits to my fogs and low beams?
Thanks.......
HIDs draw 35W, while the regular bulbs run on 55w...
plus many here have switched to HIDs without any problems with the fuses...
Now start MODDING!!!

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
HIDs draw 35W, while the regular bulbs run on 55w...
plus many here have switched to HIDs without any problems with the fuses...
Now start MODDING!!!
Ding! Correct, the ballast you install actually lowers the wattage output to the HIDs.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
Ordinarily headlights are on an automatic reset circuit breaker. If you're driving along and the headlights start blinking on and off you might have a short or the circuit is otherwise overloaded.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Although the nominal power of the hids is lower than halogens, sometimes the transient power load of the hid ballasts can be high, resulting in blown out fuses. These gas discharge lamps require a lot of power to "strike" the bulb (turn it on) initially. Some of the cheaper hid ballasts out there are of questionable quality, and sometimes blown fuses is one of the side effects.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Although the nominal power of the hids is lower than halogens, sometimes the transient power load of the hid ballasts can be high, resulting in blown out fuses. These gas discharge lamps require a lot of power to "strike" the bulb (turn it on) initially. Some of the cheaper hid ballasts out there are of questionable quality, and sometimes blown fuses is one of the side effects.
^ Part of the long answer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts