Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy I was wondering if 6000K HID's for my low beam would be able to melt my headlight. Also I will not use a projector ... yet (maybe after a few months i will) and same question for my fog lights. I drive a 2000 DTS by the way.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
189 Posts
i have a 2002 deville dts.

i just installed HID's (5500) in both the regular lights and fog lights

they wont melt a thing

i also bought the 35watt ones from sharphid

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 2002 deville dts.

i just installed HID's (5500) in both the regular lights and fog lights

they wont melt a thing

i also bought the 35watt ones from sharphid
Hey thanks for the info ! I can get a 6000K hid kit for my DTS for $90 brand new with warranty and it looks like a good deal :)

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
It looks like sharp/ddm stopped selling the standard HID kits, they just have the slim kits now idk why?? Also there was a write up a while back where luducrisvp (I believe I his name) installed a set of H1 projector lenses into his housing those things are sweet!! And no they won't melt your housings

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
You do know when you get that high your actually losing brightness and just using your HID's for the color right?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You do know when you get that high your actually losing brightness and just using your HID's for the color right?
You're talking to "sania420" right? Also 6000K should be bright and good looking i think :bouncy:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
Above 6000K you lose light - it gets dimmer and bluer, so the color spectrum of reflected light appears "brighter". But it isn't............

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Thank you sub for displaying again, anyways I have 6000k's in my seville and they are bright and blue, but now that I've gone through with it I would have gotten 5000k's

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,748 Posts
Not a problem. Having grown up on British Lucas pencil beam driving lights (800,000 candlepower) and some weird sealed beam bulbs, the current trend toward blue bling is a strictly urban application. 5 minutes on a long, dark road at scary speeds will forever dispel the hype that "blue is better". Looks good at the car show or the local drive-in, but the money is on 2,000 feet down the highway. That's where your eyes and your life are. As Golden Corral used to instruct their wait staff - "Sell the sizzle, not the steak".

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Agreed blue is highly overated sure it "looks cool" but that's it for HID's I would only suggest 4000-5000k nothing higher, and even then your headlights will still look blue to oncoming traffic if that's what you want..

·
Premium Member
09 1SG STS4 & Subie CrossTrek (retired 03 DeVille & 05 V6 SRX4)
429 Posts
Thanks for the Info. I was goin to buy 6000k HID myself, now I'll look for 5000k or maybe 4000k

·
Registered
96 DeVille Concours
19 Posts
Just keep in mind that depending on what state you live in it may not be legal to install aftermarket HID kits. Some states have laws that any car that didn't come stock from the factory with them cant have them installed. Though I'll admit, as long as you aim them so they don't blind everyone else on the road, cops rarely do anything about it.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,022 Posts
I'm the member that cadi509 was talking about. I have also done a retrofit in the fog lights now too with the blazer projector fogs. They won't exactly melt anything but after long term use (like everyday I have my fogs on the entire time I'm driving for about 18 months or so) I noticed that when I opened the fog housings they both had a spot where the chrome finish has bubbled due to the lamps not having perfect shielding from the uv radiation they put out. They both appeared in the same exact spot on both of the housings.

Make sure you use a relay to draw power from the relay center directly where the large battery cable attaches to the center to avoid the one lamp out issue when starting car with fogs on already and if its dark out the ambient light sensor.

Also if you want to keep your hids in your low beams / fogs on whenever you turn on your brights or flash to pass brights make sure to make the relay center mods that I posted in my write up. It will give you all 6 lights on high beams.

Remember if you do decide on high beam hids as well make sure you know when you turn on the high beams there will be no 'instant high' like you are used to with halogens it will take some time to get them warmed up to give any noticeable light but they will out shine those halogens by a long shot. Otherwise you can replace the 9005 lamps with 9011 lamps which are an upgraded 9005 halogen lamp. If they are 9006 then the 9012 is the replacement.

Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just keep in mind that depending on what state you live in it may not be legal to install aftermarket HID kits. Some states have laws that any car that didn't come stock from the factory with them cant have them installed. Though I'll admit, as long as you aim them so they don't blind everyone else on the road, cops rarely do anything about it.
I live in Ontario (Canada) and I do have to point it as it's currently pointing up for some reason.

·
Registered
2006 STS V Tango int
2,341 Posts
Baller95 no matter what you end up doing you need to be sure that your lowbeams stay lit when the highbeams are selected, otherwise the HID's will shut off and take about 4-5 seconds max to fire back up to full potential brightness, and idk about you but I don't that much time driving in the dark

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,022 Posts
Make sure to jumper your relay pins 85 from the high beam relay to the low beam relay with a diode with the silver band closest to the high beam relay to keep your lows on with high beams. Note that your highs and lows share a ground inside your housings so you will have to ground your ballasts to the cars frame / unibody otherwise you won't have proper headlight control. It may only matter if you have high beam hids too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm the member that cadi509 was talking about ... you can replace the 9005 lamps with 9011 lamps which are an upgraded 9005 halogen lamp. If they are 9006 then the 9012 is the replacement.

Hey, i never heard of bulb upgrade like what you mentioned ! And i think i did see your post about the HID's

Baller95 no matter what you end up doing you need to be sure that your lowbeams stay lit when the highbeams are selected, otherwise the HID's will shut off and take about 4-5 seconds max to fire back up to full potential brightness, and idk about you but I don't that much time driving in the dark
yea i knew about the delay but didn't know about needing both on at once. Maybe i should make both HID's then.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts