Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Hope I could get some recommendations for quality aftermarket HID kits for my 1999 Caddy STS. I currently have the PIAA Xtreme White Plus for my low's but they honestly do not put out enough light for my liking, which I am completely surprised because I was under the impression they would be brighter than my stocks, which do not seem to be the case. For HID's, I am looking for a pure white, 4500-5000k, I do not want my caddy to look like a ricer (blue, purple lighting). I'll take any insights or recommendations you got. Thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
1999 STS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: HID Recommendations for 1999 Cadillac STS

Thanks moist, 5000k it is ! I'll look into it.

----------

Moist .. I'm not too familiar with electrical lingo, would I be looking for a 35w or 55w ballast and what would be the difference? Also the harness choices include HD Relay: 9006 or Canbus 9006 and what is a capacitor link?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
HID bulbs are designed for 35 watt ballasts, there is no such thing as a 55 watt HID bulb.

Using a 55 watt ballast, as a general rule of thumb, you'll get about 20% more light, and 20% shorter bulb life.

Some people's thinking is that the extra light shining in the ground closer to the car effects night vision enough that you actually end u seeing LESS than if you were running 35 watts. Personally, I'd recommend 35 watts. Good bulbs are expensive and put out quite enough light as it is.

You don't need any fancy wiring or modules, the headlights aren't monitored.

Basically, you just have to plug a 9006 adapter into the ballast, and your original 9006 headlight socket into the adapter.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Yeah, as someone who does alot of night driving, the projector beams aren't the greatest on these cars. I'd recommend a 4300K 35W AC ballast kit as that is the HIDs these cars had from the factory as an option starting in 2001. Most of the kits on E-bay are the cheaper DC kits and they are not as bright or stable and tend to have a short life span.

I've had 2 different, DC HID kits now in my SLS and have been rather unhappy with them. While they certainly throw more light than the halogens, they aren't very bright and even tend to flicker on occasion.

Do an E-bay search on "OPT 7 HID", "Kensun HID" or "VMME HID kit", they offer AC kits and are suppose to be good quality for the money ($60-100) and seemingly get good reviews and that is what I've ordered to replace mine. If you do not wish to spend the extra cash on an AC kit, OPT 7 also has some quality appearing, DC kits for a very reasonable price ($35) and are American made.

Very easy install, the hardest part is getting the headlights out. Be sure to check operation before you bolt everything back in as you may need to reverse the polarity and the harness that goes between the ballast and bulb.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Hey guys,

Hope I could get some recommendations for quality aftermarket HID kits for my 1999 Caddy STS. I currently have the PIAA Xtreme White Plus for my low's but they honestly do not put out enough light for my liking, which I am completely surprised because I was under the impression they would be brighter than my stocks, which do not seem to be the case. For HID's, I am looking for a pure white, 4500-5000k, I do not want my caddy to look like a ricer (blue, purple lighting). I'll take any insights or recommendations you got. Thanks a lot guys!
-------------------------------------

the FIRST thing you need to do is
check out your basic low-beam/high-beam/DRL - Daylight Running Lights operation -

the early version turned the low-beams off when high-beams were selected -
and the DRL's MIGHT have used the low-beams - not positive about that -

later versions kept the low-beams on along with the high-beams -
and used the high-beams for th DRL's -

if your headlights are the early version -
and the low-beams DO turn off when high-beams are selected -
there is a VERY EASY - cheap - and completely SAFE method
to solve this problem - THAT MUST BE DONE -

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
I've had 98 and 99 STSs and the DRLs were also from the high beams. Pretty sure the low beams do not stay on with the highs on the 2000 and earlier cars. I know both of my 2002 cars do, which is kind of annoying as the mix of HID and Halogen isn't great with both of them on. In certain weather conditions, it would be nice to be able to switch to halogen only.

But, I understand it is better than having nothing when you switch back from high beams to unlit HIDs until they warm up again. Scary stuff indeed, so make sure that at least your fog lamps are working! So what is the easy fix Basscatt?

·
19,998 Posts
I've had 98 and 99 STSs and the DRLs were also from the high beams. Pretty sure the low beams do not stay on with the highs on the 2000 and earlier cars. I know both of my 2002 cars do, which is kind of annoying as the mix of HID and Halogen isn't great with both of them on. In certain weather conditions, it would be nice to be able to switch to halogen only.

But, I understand it is better than having nothing when you switch back from high beams to unlit HIDs until they warm up again. Scary stuff indeed, so make sure that at least your fog lamps are working! So what is the easy fix Basscatt?
======================
So what is the easy fix Basscatt?
you add a diode between the high beam and low beam relays -

==================================

to keep low beams on with high beams -

=================

Radio Shack #276-1101 diode -

remove relays #27 and #28
in the underhood fuse box -

install SILVER end of diode
in upper left slot of #27 -

install other end of diode
in upper left slot of #28 -

connect the "X"

X o 28
o o
----------
X o 27
o o

re-install the relays

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,384 Posts
.............. and, in the 2000 and later Seville you can disable DRL, and DRL only, by pulling Fuse #24 in the underhood box.

You can mitigate a bit of the HID/halogen apparent brightness/color disconnect by using a set of PIAA Intense White 4100K halogens in the 9005 lenses.

Personally, I'm very glad that my car does not have the HID low beams .....................

Attachments

·
Registered
97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs
718 Posts
i have a 99 and an 01. 01 is now a parts cat... anyhow:

can confirm on the 99: lows off when highs on, and DRL are highs.

on the 01: lows are on with highs, and highs are DRL.

question: can i swap the HID's from the 01 into my 99? havent looked at the wiring yet. Its too cold out (())(())

Edit: forgot to mention, i have had aftermarket HID's in my 99. Nice and bright. Even had HID's in my fogs for a while. (nothing but complaints from oncoming drivers heh) It was nice being able to see hundreds of feet left and right into the fields....

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Yes, from what I could tell from the 01 in the wrecking yard that I pulled the healights out of to get at the rad...the harnesses appearr the same. Should be a simple plug and play deal, just need to take the headlight assemblies, and the two ballasts, or better yet, the entire headlight bracket and ballast as I doubt the 98-00 brackets have the holes pre-drilled to mount them.

Edit: While this should work with the 2001 set up, the wiring harnesses and ballasts changed in 2002. I think the 02-04 sytem can also be used, but the lighting to body harnesses would also need to be swapped from the newer car. Again, should be still plug and play, just a little more work.

Which type of aftermarket HID's do you have ponyboyt? Are they 35W or 55W? Which bulb temp?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Im not sure any numbers, i have about 8 sets. Not running any right now. When i had lows and fogs it was kinda silly though. Way too bright.

I never realised how big a deal aiming is. We just got a headlight aimer, i havent done mine yet. But i notice mine shine up in the trees....

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought a then-$35 kit from DDM tuning just to test out how it would work. AC ballast, 35W 4500K bulb. Ended up being satisfied and stayed with the kit.

·
Administrator
70,384 Posts
An often overlooked problem when changing from factory halogens to aftermarket HID setups is that the two types of bulb require different lenses/reflectors. The focal length of the two bulbs is a LOT different, so a HID bulb in a halogen reflector is ALWAYS "out of focus".

That's the reason that many aftermarket HID installs are so obviously ricer. (I believe there are kits and spacers that take care of some of the problems caused by the incorrect focus)

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Very true Sub, but these Sevilles came with them as an option and have projector beam housings, which work perfectly fine with HIDs. So, were not being "ricers".

The night visibility on these cars seems poor with the halogens and makes me wonder if projector housings were really ever designed to be used with anything but HID bulbs? The projector lenses are tinted to start with, and that certainly must affect the output of standard bulbs.

I also wonder if there is a different aiming procedure with the HIDs on these cars? I really should get a service manual...the owner's manual is rather vague on this.

·
Administrator
70,384 Posts
I know - my car has the low beam projectors. My post about focus when going HID is generic - the last 6 years of Seville just makes the switch a bit easier. Post #9

I'm not certain that the projector lens is coated/tinted - that purplish color in some light angles may be an artifact of light refraction in the lens. I guess one way to check that would be to look through the lens from the back - through the socket opening.

My PIAA low beam bulbs have no purple/blue tint in the dark - just white light from either the driver's seat or 50 feet in front of the car. As I have posted before, in my suburban, semi-rural and rural night time drives I feel no lack of light from the lows only, and with both lows and highs on at the same time there's a LOT of light down the road. The car must have the same wiring logic as a HID setup - lows and highs on at the same time - because a HID takes time to come up to full brightness and clicking down from high beams would leave a few seconds of darkness .................

·
Registered
718 Posts
The car must have the same wiring logic as a HID setup - lows and highs on at the same time - because a HID takes time to come up to full brightness and clicking down from high beams would leave a few seconds of darkness .................
I didnt clue into that. Thats why i didnt bother putting new HID's in when my 2nd bulb went. It was horrible. I'd switch earlier and pull the lever straight back so all 4 were on.

Ya, highs on, no lows. But when lows are on, you pull it back and highs and lows come on but you have to hold it.

·
19,998 Posts
I didnt clue into that. Thats why i didnt bother putting new HID's in when my 2nd bulb went. It was horrible. I'd switch earlier and pull the lever straight back so all 4 were on.

Ya, highs on, no lows. But when lows are on, you pull it back and highs and lows come on but you have to hold it.
================================

to keep low beams on with high beams -

=================

Radio Shack #276-1101 diode -

remove relays #27 and #28
in the underhood fuse box -

install SILVER end of diode
in upper left slot of #27 -

install other end of diode
in upper left slot of #28 -

connect the "X"

X o 28
o o
----------
X o 27
o o

re-install the relays.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Well Sub, I actually ripped a projector out of a damaged assembly to save it for testing bulbs and not be blinded, it was not easy to remove. Anyway, I'll have to look through it and see.

I may have to take your advice and give the PIAA's a shot since I'm not too happy with the aftermarket HIDs so far. In fact, I have a brand new set that I've never opened, 4100k for the lows and 3800k for the highs. Knowing now that the lows stay on with the highs on these later Sevilles, I wish they were both 4100k. Bought them originally for an 04 Grand Prix GTP that I sold.

First, I'm taking the car to a frame shop I found that has a special aiming system for headlights. As this car was in a wreck when I bought it and I replaced the housings, they are likely out of alignment. For the $20 they're charging, it's worth a try.

·
Administrator
70,384 Posts
The PIAA bulbs - curious - the 9005/9006 Intense White set I have (according to the plastic packs) is 4000K for the 9006 and 4100K for the 9005.

In dinky little Stevensville or Chester, with their 3 or 4 street lights, the car lighting is OK. In over-lighted Annapolis, as in all over-lighted cities, you really don't need headlights because they do nothing anyway. Out in the boonies the lows are fine for 35 - 40 mph. Any higher speeds and/or twisty crazies and it's 4-light Shazam !

FWIW, the stock Wagner or Sylvania halogen headlight bulbs in these cars are rated at 3100K. Long life.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts