Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Cadillac CTS - DI/RWD - Fully Loaded & '08 SRX V6 AWD
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I know this probably sounds like a dumb question - but I am going to ask it anyways.

Why does the "flash to pass" feature not work during the day, when the xenon lights are not on? The only time I can get my bright lights on is when the headlights are on, which means that if I need to flash at someone that there is a cop up ahead or some sort of road hazard then I have to first turn on my headlights?

I know that on other cars (BMW, Audi) that this feature works with their HID's, just curious why Cadillac left it out for us.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
That is correct - flash to pass only works on HID equipped CTS's when the lights are already on. The non-HID CTS's get flash to pass all the time.

There's been threads about this one previously - the suggestion was concern about premature failure of the HID's with the cycling from off to flash to off quickly. I don't know what other makers do to enable flash to pass with HID's.

·
Registered
'08 CTS
91 Posts
The info about the cycling makes a lot of sense. Most vehicles up until now have had separate bulbs or at least filaments for low and high beams. The previous generation CTS had a non-HID high beam that you could make use of all the time. The current CTS w/ HID uses the same bulb for both low and high beam: you can actually hear a mechanical noise as the "eyelid" raises and lowers to switch between the two postitions (this really surprised me the first time I heard it).

It's odd however that when dark, the HID lights come on when you unlock the doors - that seems like needless cycling as well.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6 Metallic Red, 11 Subaru Outback, 04 Malibu Maxx
278 Posts
The info about the cycling makes a lot of sense. Most vehicles up until now have had separate bulbs or at least filaments for low and high beams. The previous generation CTS had a non-HID high beam that you could make use of all the time. The current CTS w/ HID uses the same bulb for both low and high beam: you can actually hear a mechanical noise as the "eyelid" raises and lowers to switch between the two postitions (this really surprised me the first time I heard it).

It's odd however that when dark, the HID lights come on when you unlock the doors - that seems like needless cycling as well.
you may want to check you DIC, beleive you may have them set to come on during an unlock......mine dont in the 09 with HIDs....they only come on when I start the car in the dark.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts