Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First of all I would like to say that this is a pretty good forum with wealth of info.

A while back I posted about converting the front headlights on my 96 STS to the 97+ style because they are much cleaner looking and seem to emit more light output. I didn't find anyone that has done this so I have dropped this idea for the time being.

I have now moved onto thinking about installing an HID conversion kit on the STS. I've been researching on HID lighting and I have come across an issue that I beleive would apply to my situation.

Here it is, if I install an HID conversion kit on a 96 STS would the light appear to be brighter when looking at it from the front of the car and not improve the actual visibility of the driver since the stock headlights aren't projectors?

Basically what I'm asking is will it be worth installing HID's without having a projector headlight system to direct the light in the right direction?

Thanks alot!
Michael

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
It has nothing to do with projectors. Putting an aftermarket HID system in a car that was designed to use Halogen is just plain a BAD idea. The factory headlight reflectors will scatter the light EVERYWHERE and blind everyone in front of you as you drive by.

So youll have plenty of usable light, but it will be going everywhere as well as on the road itself. Projectors that are designed for Halogen bulbs are not much different, theyre still extremely bright when you throw HIDs in them. A few members here have pulled off a coversion kit with the 98+ Seville, but you have to know what youre doing for it to not blind people and not look completely FAKE and rice-burnerish, especially on a 96.

I believe there are aftermarket companies which make clear lensed headlights for the Seville and Eldorado 92-97 models. Also, there are plans on this forum for coverting 90's BMW 3 Series headlights to work in the stock Eldorado and Seville housings.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
:confused: I suppose you could spend a bundle for HID's, but then you would be in for quite a wiring harness rebuild to handle the startup and steady-state amperage draw. If you elect not to throw your $ away, look at a better set of halogen capsules....not rinky-dink blue searchlights, but upgraded bulbs for improved night vision for YOU, not the poor soul coming towards you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS
685 Posts
I think Partsforyourcar.com sells the wiring harness for HID conversion. And it allows the HID ballast to be wired directly to the battery.

HID will not blind unless you remove the factory reflector shields in the headlights ...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has nothing to do with projectors. Putting an aftermarket HID system in a car that was designed to use Halogen is just plain a BAD idea. The factory headlight reflectors will scatter the light EVERYWHERE and blind everyone in front of you as you drive by.

So youll have plenty of usable light, but it will be going everywhere as well as on the road itself. Projectors that are designed for Halogen bulbs are not much different, theyre still extremely bright when you throw HIDs in them. A few members here have pulled off a coversion kit with the 98+ Seville, but you have to know what youre doing for it to not blind people and not look completely FAKE and rice-burnerish, especially on a 96.

I believe there are aftermarket companies which make clear lensed headlights for the Seville and Eldorado 92-97 models. Also, there are plans on this forum for coverting 90's BMW 3 Series headlights to work in the stock Eldorado and Seville housings.
I think it would have alot to do of not having projectors that would guide the light in the right direction and height, but i might be wrong.

Projectors that are designed for halogens can be converted to HIDs very easily and function properly, I know this because my A4 didnt come with HIDs and only with projectors and it handles the HID kit fine.

I've searched for those companies that make a clear leansed headlight for the 92-97 models but with no luck.. can you inform me on the company names?

Thanks,

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone guide me to where I can find some aftermarket headlights.. ive looked everywhere and cant find any..
Thanks!

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
I put HID bulbs in mine.
I have 6500K (9005 and 9006) xenons from Spyder Glow.
They improve my vision at night. I would look for anything 6500K or below, ideally 4300K. Good luck!

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I plan to do mine eventually of course I am driving a newer STS so I have the projectors. Ebay sells them that the ballast plugs in to the plug it is a pretty easy install. I helped my brother with his CTS conversion of fog lights.

·
Registered
Cadillac 96 Seville STS, 89 Sedan Deville
27 Posts
I put the xenons in mine and personally i like it, but then again thats all about personal taste. sylvania makes some white ones, that are pretty cool but i decided to go with the cheap ebay direct from japan ones they work fine never had anyone complain unless i hit my high beams in which case the person in front of me just goes blind temporarily. Also i opted for the blues since technically the colored ones are illegal around here and blue looks close enough to the white spectrum that the cops dont bother me. I believe the highs and lows set cost me $20. Also when you go this way do your best not to touch the bulbs while installing them this will prematurely burn them out, at least thats what i was told.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I do go the route of installing the HID conversion kit on my non-projector lights it will absolutely not be by just replacing the bulbs with some fake HID bulbs that would just be dumb.

I guess the 92-97 have no aftermarket projector headlight available since nobody can seem to hint me with the company name or something...

Im surprised nobody has attempted a conversion from 98+ headlights to the 92-97 models.. they seem to be of similar size but probably require some trimming... it would probably turn out better than the e46 conversion which isnt all that clean in my opinion, gaps are a no no, especially on a Cadillac!!!

thanks

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Even putting REAL HID bulbs into your '96 housings will not give you great results. The placement of the filament in the housing is CRITICAL to efficient light performance. HID lights, by definition, don't have a filament. They use an electrical arc. There's just no way to PROPERLY retrofit an HID bulb into a housing designed for halogen filaments.

Most HIDs you see out there, from the factory, are done with projector beam lights. There are some that use reflectors (such as the Lincoln Town Car, the Cadillac Escalade, the older Acura CL/TL, etc). But these are relatively few and far between. A projector beam design can more efficiently throw the extra light down the road, focused to where it needs to be.

I've never seen anyone attempt a conversion to projector beams by trying to use the 98+ housings. They're very different, despite their similar shape. You can get an idea of how much LONGER the 98+ lights are, wrapped around the fender:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even putting REAL HID bulbs into your '96 housings will not give you great results. The placement of the filament in the housing is CRITICAL to efficient light performance. HID lights, by definition, don't have a filament. They use an electrical arc. There's just no way to PROPERLY retrofit an HID bulb into a housing designed for halogen filaments.

Most HIDs you see out there, from the factory, are done with projector beam lights. There are some that use reflectors (such as the Lincoln Town Car, the Cadillac Escalade, the older Acura CL/TL, etc). But these are relatively few and far between. A projector beam design can more efficiently throw the extra light down the road, focused to where it needs to be.

I've never seen anyone attempt a conversion to projector beams by trying to use the 98+ housings. They're very different, despite their similar shape. You can get an idea of how much LONGER the 98+ lights are, wrapped around the fender:

Yup, everything you said makes sense and its what I thought, the fact that you need projectors to guide the light in the right direction is what worried me about getting the HIDs for the STS.... I guess ill just have to bite the bullet and keep the crappy lighting it currently has until I find a company that makes aftermarket headlights for the 92-97.

Thanks for the replies guys... if ever I do get a set of HIDs for the caddy I will make a writeup and show you guys the results.

Michael

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thumbsup: HID's won't make it any faster.
I know it won't make it any faster... i dont have the caddy for racing either.. its just a car I have because of centimental value.. 35k on a 96 isnt much...

I use my A4 for my speed thrills...

It's just that the lighting on the caddy is junk!~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts