Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Escalade EXT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing my fog lights and buying new housing since they've been broken for a while by rocks. Since I'll be doin this I want t change them to match my head lights; what is the best matching output? Also which kit is good for a good price; went on ebay and found some for $25 for the kit. I also went online and it's almost triple, something doesn't match up here. Just don't want to get stuck buying a cheap pair that will cost me more in the long run. Anyone out there with any experience on his on which is a good kit and where to buy from. Did a search and couldn't find anything recent.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Too much brightness in the fog lamps will only increase glare in the fog unless you are doing it for the looks. I went for old school amber lamps because they reduce glare for you and the oncoming traffic in the fog. I buy all my lamps, mostly LEDs, from eBay and have no problems. If they look exactly like the higher priced internet store lamps they may have both got them from the same source. Check the eBay sellers feedback for complaints on them before buying.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got my hid conversion kit for my fog lights from kensun. I ordered them through amazon and I have absolutely no complaints with them. They are pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
Too much brightness in the fog lamps will only increase glare in the fog unless you are doing it for the looks. I went for old school amber lamps because they reduce glare for you and the oncoming traffic in the fog. I buy all my lamps, mostly LEDs, from eBay and have no problems. If they look exactly like the higher priced internet store lamps they may have both got them from the same source. Check the eBay sellers feedback for complaints on them before buying.
Once aimed properly there is no glare period and you get a lot more light on the road

----------

blaze190 said:
I got my hid conversion kit for my fog lights from kensun. I ordered them through amazon and I have absolutely no complaints with them. They are pretty much plug and play.
^ same here almost four years of use and not a single problem(need new bulbs though)

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Once aimed properly there is no glare period and you get a lot more light on the road

----------

^ same here almost four years of use and not a single problem(need new bulbs though)
By your comment I guess you do not understand how fog lights really work in the fog. Have you ever driven in dense fog?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Fogs don't really help me at all put white leds in and they'll look the same except you won't blind people

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Most of this country never gets "real" fog anyway. Fog lights are mostly bling here.

Instead of illegally installing HIDs and blinding everyone, I'd suggest either color matched incandescents or LEDs.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
Since you never answered all the questions, AGAIN. I guess you do not know how fog lights really work in the fog.
They provide light in front of the vehicle to aid in better visibility in fog and rain
Seriously your going to start again

----------

MoistCabbage said:
Most of this country never gets "real" fog anyway. Fog lights are mostly bling here. Instead of illegally installing HIDs and blinding everyone, I'd suggest either color matched incandescents or LEDs.
I am going to guess you don't live near a lake?

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
It's not just extra light. Fog lights cast relatively dim light at a low, wide angle, so the light doesn't reflect off of the fog and into your eyes. That would make it even more difficult to see in foggy conditions. Fogs are meant to be used at low speeds without the headlights on. Putting bright bulbs in fog assemblies, besides being illegal, completely defeated their purpose.

If you need extra light because of where you drive, get a good set of pencil beam DRIVING lights. Driving lights are like auxiliary headlights. They actually throw light down the road, where it's needed. You'll see better, won't annoy other drivers, and you won't be breaking any laws.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Hids in fog lights that's properly aimed isn't as bad as nuts in Hondas with the headlights improperly aimed with hids

If you actually look into the legality of hids you will see its a federal law(not sate law) and most state and local cops do nothing to anyone who has them here (and I know how it is to have one behind you with hid headlights improperly aimed glaring into the rear view (not fun)

Fogs aren't and bad for glare due to them being low to the ground on "most" vehicles(I say most as lifted vehicles are exempt)
Our factory fogs have a cap over the bulb so the bulb is shielded from direct view and unless your almost on the ground looking at them you will not be blinded(have seen a few Chevy trucks around here with hids in the fogs and then properly aimed)

I would love to have projectors for the fogs just hate the empty space around them in the bumper the factory housings actully do pretty good with hids and have a sharp cutoff on the beam(same for halogen bulbs) I have thought of going with leds now since they now have the socket size it's just the price and no reviews of the new leds(not cheap ones either)

Btw most halogen bulbs would cause the same results as the hids just they draw a LOT more amps(not good) compared to hids
Also most led headlight kits aren't road legal either unless it's from a company like jw speaker who makes retrofits not kits

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in a wide fan in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. Using HID in the fog lights and driving in the fog would be like using your high beams in the fog.

Why is the Halogen Lamps using a LOT more Amps (Not Good)? Do they load down the alternator causing the engine to work harder and hurt the fuel economy?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
Fog tends to hover about 12 to 18 inches off the ground. So by projecting light in a wide fan in that fog-free pocket, you can illuminate the road a greater distance from your car and therefore see farther ahead. Using HID in the fog lights and driving in the fog would be like using your high beams in the fog. Why is the Halogen Lamps using a LOT more Amps (Not Good)? Do they load down the alternator causing the engine to work harder and hurt the fuel economy?
They produce more heat and heat is bad for the housings and depending on the brand of bulb some do use more watts and more amps which in turn makes the alternator work harder and in turn may effect the mpg

Keep in mind the housings are smaller then the headlights and are more at risk of heat damage due to that

I have seen people drive with the high beams(both halogen and hid) in fog and it's blinding for sure though there are some fog lights(ford pickups) that are blinding no matter what bulb is in it

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
So the factory poorly designed the fog light housings to not handle the stock factory lamps? Ridiculous. The alternator/mpg statement was joke and you went for it? LOL. The load difference would be unnoticeable on mpg. It would be like saying if I would empty my bladder into Lake Superior do we now have to call it a salt water lake? Not noticeable. I think I may have done it in my youth more than once.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
I'd assume he was talking about the whiter incandescent bulbs, not stock replacements. Obviously a stock replacement bulb won't cause damage. Higher wattage can, in some cases, cause housing and wiring damage.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
So the factory poorly designed the fog light housings to not handle the stock factory lamps? Ridiculous. The alternator/mpg statement was joke and you went for it? LOL. The load difference would be unnoticeable on mpg. It would be like saying if I would empty my bladder into Lake Superior do we now have to call it a salt water lake? Not noticeable. I think I may have done it in my youth more than once.
I didn't say they was unable to handle the stock bulbs it is the higher wattage ones that cause trouble

Ok you got me with the joke

----------

MoistCabbage said:
I'd assume he was talking about the whiter incandescent bulbs, not stock replacements. Obviously a stock replacement bulb won't cause damage. Higher wattage can, in some cases, cause housing and wiring damage.
This is correct

It's also the same for higher wattage high beam bulbs(more wire problems then housing problems)

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
You did say "most halogen bulbs" But if someone uses halogen lamps larger than the stock 27 watt ones they deserve a melt down

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
You did say "most halogen bulbs" But if someone uses halogen lamps larger than the stock 27 watt ones they deserve a melt down
True haha

I have seen where some have and it does cause damage to the housings

Some have had good luck running 55watt bulbs but again it's a risk due to the heat

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Ive seen HIDS melt snow mobile / quad lenses and melt fog housings 08 Denali. Most glass ( plastic ) isn't meant for the extra heat. 35 or 55 watt ballast no difference the 35 is what melted them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts