Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for some quick help. Trust me, I've done the search, and I can't seem to find the link I'm looking for.

I got the HID's set up, turned one on to test it. It went on, then right off. The other doesn't seem to be working, so I'm suspecting a fuse has blown. I found a link earlier that had a pic of the fuse box, anyone know where it is? Do I need a higher fuse as well?

Finally, I'm hearing about flipping the wires to make em work. Is that true often? Let me know. It seems weird it would turn right on only to stop working a second later. Thanks in advance... and I'll keep looking through the search results.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Where'd you buy your HIDs? Are they brand new?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.xenonlink.com/

Heard about them online here. They are new.

About the only thing I could think I might have done to cause it was the fact I tested the light with only one hooked up. Possibly something to do with both lights not being set up... but I don't know if that would cause the relay to blow.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... so I replaced the relay and went back to the stock headlights. Guess what... not lights. Ideas?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
retrace your steps and make sure that non of the wires are pinched or shorted. I think there has to be a fuse that's blown. Do the High beams work? BTW, I did mine one side at a time and it shouldn't matter. Some of the kits made in China use a positive ground so you do have to flip the connector.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It blew both fuses. Fixed them. Any idea what could cause both sides to blow? I'm thinking that if it was defective, only one side would have been affected. Did anyone need to increase the size of the fuse with their kit?

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
Hello Jay,

Didn't know you were a member here. I sent you a response to your IM on the mustang forum telling you to check the fuses.

The reason for the fuses going open will have to be determined by you. I can only speculate...possibly a pinched wire as someone said earlier, but I doubt both sides are like that. I would think they are either wired inccorectly or the current draw is too large for that system.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info Mark. I'm thinking it needs a higher fuse, but I haven't heard back from the company, even after repeated emails. Pretty poor customer service from xenonlink.com if you ask me.

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
Thanks for the info Mark. I'm thinking it needs a higher fuse, but I haven't heard back from the company, even after repeated emails. Pretty poor customer service from xenonlink.com if you ask me.
I typically sway people away from going to a larger fuse. Reason being is the wiring length and diameter is set up to handle a specific load range. Putting a larger fuse in it could possibly cause the wiring to fry. I would be very careful about doing that. I suspect that it's a 15 amp mini fuse in there right now? If the 20 still goes open then I would suggest checking the wiring for a short.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
There should be no need to "up" the fuse, and I agree with d3mark.

Here is a test that you can do. You see how there is an extention cord on the hid kit? It's about 1/5 feet long and goes through a little rubber molding? How about plugging that into the socket and then one of the factory holagen bulbs. Just to make sure it works. If it does, turn off the switch and plug it into the ballast with the hid bulbs plugged into it.

I've done alot of hid kits in many different types of cars, and non of them I had to "up" the fuse.

KOT

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. Thanks for the follow up. I actually found the company's phone number on my bill. They agreed with not increasing the fuse size (15 amp is what they said it needed, though 20 is what I currently have). They said I should flip the wiring, which I have heard here. I'm going to try it tomorrow morning. Still, I gotta take off the fascia again, which is a fairly easy job.... but I really don't want to have to do it over and over. Why Cadillac designed the headlights like this is beyond me. Sure, they did good cutting wind noise down, but considering I did my chevy's headlights in 5 minutes the week before, I know they could have made it easier.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK.... this is my last post on this issue. I'm only doing it to warn people away from xenonlink.com. I've heard many people had smooth transactions, but not in my case.

I sent my first email, starting on Wensday. There was no instructions, so I asked them to email a copy. Simple enough, but there was no response. The install is simple, but there is no way anyone will simply guess you 'may need'to reverse some wires. The website has no phone number listed, and when I finally did find a number, they told me they did not want customers calling them. BTW, their number is 510-402-4270 if you ever need it. Over the phone, the guy told me to reverse the wires... and I did.

After taking the fascia off a second time (about an hour or so worth of work, once you fgure it out), I tested all of the wiring options. The lights only work for seconds before shutting off. I have spent an extra $20 on fuses and relays, as everytime I test the lights, one of them blow. My stock headlights work fine, so I know that it is the HID kit. The pack of relays before the ballast on one side was overheating, so much at one point that the soder holding the power wire to the circuit board came off. Sure, it was an easy soder to fix, but there is no way it should have done that. Right now, I have the fun task of putting the front end back together a second time. Of course, I've been trying to call the company, but not even a answering machine is availible. Not the best start to memorial day weekend.

Cliff note:
xenonlink.com product did not work - Does anyone have any recommendations for another vendor to shop with?

·
Registered
3.6 DI CTS
193 Posts
I bought my kit from vvme.com and i had a great experience

Only problem was when i plugged in the ballast from the supply of the car one of the pins bent inward not making contact ERRRG. 2 Extra hours of troubleshooting for nothing.

Anyways:
http://vvme.com/

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. They have their number right up front. That's a good sign. I should have never gone with a company that doesn't do that. Even when I called them, I kept getting the feeling I was being scammed.

Which kit did you wind up going with from this site? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 SRX 3.6L
248 Posts
I've bought 2 sets of HIDs from HIDgate on eBay. I have one set on my CTS fogs and the other in one of my trucks. Their kits are $56.99 shipped and I've got nothing but good things to say about them and their kits. Probably 20-30 members of another forum I'm on have bought from them, also with nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info.

I actually got them to work. Turns out, they had sodered one of the relays like carp. I kept feeling it overheat, and cut the shrink wrap back to figure out why. The connection was arcing and causing fuses to blow. I had to clean up the soder and redo the connection, but it works now. I'm not to happy with the effort I had to put into figuring this out... but at least it's working. Still, I'm not confident that the product will hold up considering the issues. I would still avoid the company and use an alternate vendor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts