Cadillac Owners Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS Black Raven Sedan / LY7 / 6 Speed Manual AY6 / RWD
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Looks like we're good here, the lens is a match. There's a bunch of goop on both the housing and the lens still but the inner assembly fits in to the lens perfectly. The housing looks to be a match too, it's off slightly but I believe that to be the silicone and sealant from the new lens.

Almost a year has gone by since they were Plastidipped and a ton of water got in to the lens, plus the freezing cold and direct sunlight. Looks as good as new in there after a quick cleanup of the water residue. You can see the provisions inside the lens for the side marker, no big deal there.

lens1.jpg
lens2.jpg
lens3.jpg
lens4.jpg
lens5.jpg
lens6.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
A bunch of silicone later and it's back together. Everything lines up other than one screw boss on the light pipe side, it just doesn't exist on the donor lens but all good. The driver's side lens is partially restored from a 2013 for reference, I'm sure you'll see the lens replacement makes an absolute world of difference. The material of the new lens definitely scratches easier than the OEM though, I'm more concerned with the crazing and inner lens issues than the outside as that can be redone easily.

lens1.jpg
lens2.jpg
lens3.jpg
lens4.jpg
lens5.jpg
lens6.jpg
lens7.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,310 Posts
3M has a clear paint protection film that can be cut to fit the headlights. When I did the front of my car to protect against stone chips on the highway, I also did the headlights. The film does a fantastic job protecting the front of the car, including the lights.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
3M has a clear paint protection film that can be cut to fit the headlights. When I did the front of my car to protect against stone chips on the highway, I also did the headlights. The film does a fantastic job protecting the front of the car, including the lights.
Good to know HurstGN, I will look in to that. If the lenses are already toast then it wouldn't help much, but that would be great for something newish.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Looks like I may need to reseal the lens, no water in it whatsoever but it does get a bit of condensation at times in the lower corners.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,970 Posts
Looks like I may need to reseal the lens, no water in it whatsoever but it does get a bit of condensation at times in the lower corners.
I believe that is because of the sealant. I had the same problem and after doing a little reading discovered that different sealant types have different curing processes chemical wise. The Dap sealant's cure time is affected by humidity which appears to mean it gives off water vapor during the curing process and the vapor inside the headlight that forms can not easily escape the housing. Address it quickly, or you may end up with water stains on the inside. This is why afterwards I said I would use the butyl rubber for resealing if I ever removed the lenses again.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I believe that is because of the sealant. I had the same problem and after doing a little reading discovered that different sealant types have different curing processes chemical wise. The Dap sealant's cure time is affected by humidity which appears to mean it gives off water vapor during the curing process and the vapor inside the headlight that forms can not easily escape the housing. Address it quickly, or you may end up with water stains on the inside. This is why afterwards I said I would use the butyl rubber for resealing if I ever removed the lenses again.
It's that for sure Joesph. Last time I sealed them with the Mono brand as I couldn't find DAP in that formulation and I had no issues with condensation whatsoever, this time I used a GE silicone and the condensation was noticeable right away. It was much warmer out last time I did this as well so that had an effect on it as well.

It's starting to get nice out now so I'll give it a few days and see if that helps any, if not then I guess I'll be redoing them soon lol.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
1,970 Posts
It's that for sure Joesph. Last time I sealed them with the Mono brand as I couldn't find DAP in that formulation and I had no issues with condensation whatsoever, this time I used a GE silicone and the condensation was noticeable right away. It was much warmer out last time I did this as well so that had an effect on it as well.

It's starting to get nice out now so I'll give it a few days and see if that helps any, if not then I guess I'll be redoing them soon lol.
You don't have to redo them, just take them off the car and remove the access covers and air them out, or gently blow them out with compressed air, or perhaps a hair dryer. You have to keep the ambient humidity level in mind also as you want to seal as little moisture inside as possible. The cure time is somewhere in the area of about 48 hrs, so you don't want to close them up right after using the sealant.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts