Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new 2014 XTS Vsport Platinum a couple of months ago and thoroughly love it.

However, whenever I drive at night, I get quite a few oncoming drivers flashing their hi beams at me. It's getting to where I do not even like to go out at night because of all the cars flashing their hi beams.

Occasionally I will flash my XTS's hi beams back to show them what its hi beams REALLY look like.

I've brought this up to the dealer and asked them if the head lamps need to be aligned. They say no, and that they hear this a lot. There is nothing that can be done about it.

I wonder if other people are having this experience and how they deal with it.

·
Registered
2012 CTS coupe - 2014 XTS4 V Platinum
39 Posts
Me too... Jealousy. Seriously.. The led vertical band is bright in it own right... So I can see people being "blinded" but it seems to be less and less...

·
Registered
2013 Radiant Silver Metallic XTS Platinum
48 Posts
It could be the unique light display causes oncoming drivers to look directly at our lights, instead of straight ahead.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'm a little envious of Mzmudosk having BOTH a CTS and XTS in his garage. That must be a nice garage to walk into.

So neither of you are bothered driving at night with all these people flashing their lights, signaling, Hey dude, you're blinding me.

I like being a safe considerate driver. So it leaves me conflicted that other drivers are telling me I'm making them feel unsafe.

·
Registered
2012 CTS coupe - 2014 XTS4 V Platinum
39 Posts
The 2012 CTS is gone... That was a lease before I bought this XTS. I have validated that my low beams are properly aligned. I think oncoming cars look at the lights as mentioned above... I see far more cars with their high beams on or poorly aligned lights blinding me.. I am always ready with the real hi beams to alert them I am only using the low beams.. Now those are bright....

image-2464395945.jpg

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll just have to live with the hi beam flashing light ordeal, until people understand HIDs.

Wow, nice car with a great shine.

This probably deserves its own thread, but after I got my XTS platinum, I realized I wanted to keep it looking as great as it deserved to look. So I put some serious money into cleaners, waxes, etc.

I mention this because I cannot believe you got your XTS looking that great by just sending it through a car wash.

Either way, that's a great looking car.

·
Registered
Current=Diamond White XTS Platinum, 3 others in the past
5 Posts
...just adding my two cents worth... I had the same problem when I first started driving my XTS and worried that it was going to drive me crazy what with people flashing their lights at me every time I drive at night. Fortunately, no one has flashed their lights at me in quite some time. I might be crazy but I think I remember reading that the vehicle adjusts its adaptive lights each time they're used, and got the impression that it took several night time drives for the headlights to make some of the adjustments. I might be wrong on this, but people have quit flashing me lately....

John Proveaux

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting John,

It's gotten to where I avoid driving at night. Maybe I should make a point of driving more to see if your theory holds up in my situation. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night I decided the only way I could put this concern about the XTS hids blinding oncoming traffic was get in my other car while my wife drove the XTS, late at night. And then have her circle a route one way, while I went in the opposite direction, so we wold pass each other in opposite lanes.

I did this to reassure myself that, really, there was no problem, and all the drivers flashing their lights were just, you know, crazy.

I was stunned, when my wife came around the corner 3 blocks away, the XTS immediately stood out as two blinding suns making their way up the road. I had NEVER seen lights brighter and yes they conveyed that the high beams were screamingly on.

My wife was the sceptic in this and could not imagine that it could be all that bad. So we switched cars and I came at her. By the time we got into our driveway, she admitted, "Yep, that's a serious problem. No way is it safe for oncoming traffic if we drive at night like that."

After that, I did some night time analysis of where the HIDs were throwing their light, and they do seem misaligned. The left side beam seems to be arcing higher than the right side, which is exactly the wrong way the orientation should be, as this would direct the light right into someone's eyes.

This is a new 2014 XTS TwinTurbo, so it came out of the factory with the lights mis-aligned. I've talked to the Cadillac dealer about this and he just laughs, "It's not a problem. We get that feedback a lot, though."

Well, it is a problem. I think the lights are just too high, for starters, So I've located the screws that another poster (in another thread) was kind enough to direct me to, and I'm going to try lowering them down and go from there.

Just FYI.

On other good news, my wife after driving the XTS also reported, 'No wonder you like driving that car so much. I've never experienced such a beautiful drive as I did with that."

So it remains a phenomenally great car, IMO.

todw

·
Registered
2014 XTS-Vsport
335 Posts
Like you mention, There is an easy fix..........unless you're afraid like the others

Please report back on your success - try a little at a time and align the beam eyelid cutouts evenly on a flat surface. Try also following an average car watching how often the jump above trunk and into their back window

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zl700, I owe you a tall glass of your favorite beverage.

I turned down the HID's with the screws you pointed me to (I would have never found them on my own if you hadn't taken the time.) And it made a world of difference.

Night is setting in here and I took that beautiful XTS Platinum Vsport out for a little spin and, for the first time since owning the car, did not have one person flash their lights at me.

My wife also got out and walked a block ahead to get her impression when I approached her. Previously, they were like two suns with lots of glare bouncing around everywhere, high and low. Now, she reported, they appear to oncoming traffic as two bright, focused spots with no glare

It makes all the difference. I think they came out of the factory set a little bit too high because they were allowing for a heavier passenger load than we might carry. She's 118lbs, I'm 145 and we carry nothing else. This might cause the car to set a little higher than if it was loaded front and back with passengers. Who knows.

But things are working better now, at least on this first little test run.

todw

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
338 Posts
Zl700, I owe you a tall glass of your favorite beverage.

I turned down the HID's with the screws you pointed me to (I would have never found them on my own if you hadn't taken the time.) And it made a world of difference.

Night is setting in here and I took that beautiful XTS Platinum Vsport out for a little spin and, for the first time since owning the car, did not have one person flash their lights at me.

My wife also got out and walked a block ahead to get her impression when I approached her. Previously, they were like two suns with lots of glare bouncing around everywhere, high and low. Now, she reported, they appear to oncoming traffic as two bright, focused spots with no glare

It makes all the difference. I think they came out of the factory set a little bit too high because they were allowing for a heavier passenger load than we might carry. She's 118lbs, I'm 145 and we carry nothing else. This might cause the car to set a little higher than if it was loaded front and back with passengers. Who knows.

But things are working better now, at least on this first little test run.

todw
DO NOT Ever post your wife's weight on an online forum! lol Glad your headlights are working better.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
lol, some need to learn the hard way;)

·
Registered
2014 XTS-Vsport
335 Posts
Awesome
I agree mine were set too high too

The other comments shared by others about the dealers response proves many are clueless and need our help to understand what they service.

Just like the mic problem, solved that myself too with a foam cutout in 10 minutes.

What you say tie your car up at a dealer and argue? No thanks

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Awesome
I agree mine were set too high too

The other comments shared by others about the dealers response proves many are clueless and need our help to understand what they service.

Just like the mic problem, solved that myself too with a foam cutout in 10 minutes.

What you say tie your car up at a dealer and argue? No thanks
We recently had an issue with our dealer and we were told that sometimes the customers know more about their vehicles than the dealer service staff know! You know it's time to find a new dealer when they tell you that ?

Good thing we have two of the same vehicles so we can tell when something is not right and the dealer is full of B.S.?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
CT6 Platinum White Tri-coat with Super Cruise
647 Posts
What happens when you go to have your car inspected and the headlights don't pass? I left mine alone as I figured the factory/dealership set them correctly.
Ve

·
Registered
2014 XTS Vsport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ve, In my state, car inspection has never involved looking at the headlights alignment. It's usually just for smog inspection.

I also assumed that, hey if it came out of the factory that way, it MUST be right!

But then I had my wife drive the cadillac while I drove in a second car in the opposite direction at night and realized, Whoa, we've got a real problem here.

They were unsafe as they came out of the factory. Much safer now with a simple re-alignment.

·
Registered
2014 XTS-Vsport
335 Posts
I think inspection stations are careful not to get caught doing the headlight aiming scam anymore .
If your over 40 you probably remember this

·
Registered
2014 XTS vsport
33 Posts
My dad taught me, and I taught my son not to look at oncoming headlights. If they seem too bright look a bit off to the side. By looking at the oncoming lights some people will tend to drift into their lane.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,663 Posts
If a Service Writer responds with, "Oh yeah, we hear that all the time." without having a tech verify the proper beam height measurements, that's pretty lazy and a disservice to the customer, especially for a potential safety-related issue.

Headlights are not always properly aligned; I regularly see vehicles driving towards me in this condition. I'm sure the rest of you do as well.

I've aligned my headlights myself using a factory service manual on my XLR. (It was very easy.)

If people are constantly flashing their high beams at you, it may indicate a real problem. I would insist your dealer make an effort to verify the beams are aligned correctly.

CCC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts