Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02' DeVille
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.... for those who have the 2000-2005 DeVille. Where did you get your HID conversion kits? What brand, and what power? Post pix if possible, and prices.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
In upgrading to HIDs, note that it is illegal to install HIDs on cars that did not have them installed at the factory. Each model car must have a very specific reflector design. This is important both to your safety and others'.

Also, note that there are various scams that label blue bulbs as HIDs. These are simple bulbs that are tinted blue. HIDs do NOT have a filament like regular light bulbs do. Search this board and the other one. This has been discussed at length. One such thread is here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/105114-xenon-headlights-eldorados-sevilles.html

·
Registered
02' DeVille
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In upgrading to HIDs, note that it is illegal to install HIDs on cars that did not have them installed at the factory. Each model car must have a very specific reflector design. This is important both to your safety and others'.

Also, note that there are various scams that label blue bulbs as HIDs. These are simple bulbs that are tinted blue. HIDs do NOT have a filament like regular light bulbs do. Search this board and the other one. This has been discussed at length. One such thread is here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/105114-xenon-headlights-eldorados-sevilles.html
Thanks for the heads up and the thread referance!! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
:thumbsup: Not to mention the fact that you would have some serious rewiring to do in order to supply the added amperage. Honestly, how often do you overdrive your lights on the Autobahn?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Most kits will come with ballast packs (transformers) that you will need to wire to the battery or to the fuse panel to allow a continuous 12 volts. This is not that difficult to do. As far as the type of light, look for a kit with a 4300K rating. Like most things, HID light output is a bell curve. Don't get the "ricer" looking supposed 8000K or 10000K that are purple. The number is a Kalvin rating used to measure color, it does not indicate brightness. 4300K is generally considered the top of the bell curve and produces the greatest candle power from 35 watts. This is the color of HID you most often see in luxury cars and trucks. As far as reflector design, you should be ok. The newer lights on most cars will work nicely with HID lighting without excessive glare. As far as the legal issue of installing HID lights, I feel that you will not have a problem, after all you are driving a Cadillac not a riced out 94' Civic that everybody knows never had an HID option.

·
Registered
02' DeVille
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most kits will come with ballast packs (transformers) that you will need to wire to the battery or to the fuse panel to allow a continuous 12 volts. This is not that difficult to do. As far as the type of light, look for a kit with a 4300K rating. Like most things, HID light output is a bell curve. Don't get the "ricer" looking supposed 8000K or 10000K that are purple. The number is a Kalvin rating used to measure color, it does not indicate brightness. 4300K is generally considered the top of the bell curve and produces the greatest candle power from 35 watts. This is the color of HID you most often see in luxury cars and trucks. As far as reflector design, you should be ok. The newer lights on most cars will work nicely with HID lighting without excessive glare. As far as the legal issue of installing HID lights, I feel that you will not have a problem, after all you are driving a Cadillac not a riced out 94' Civic that everybody knows never had an HID option.
Yea, I was going to keep it under 8000K for sure!! Now if I can just find a kiT!! :hmm:

·
Registered
Cadillac DTS
1 Posts
I am an official noob to this site and I guess this is my 1st post.

I have a 2000 DTS on 22" asantis and I have HIDs for my Caddy.

I do agree with the issues that have arisen lately about HID and their installation on non-HID cars. But, it is NOT illegal in every state. In Florida, where I am at, It is only illegal if you have 12000k or 14000k. I have a set on every one of my cars (Jetta 3000k - yellowish gold)(Accord -10000k - Bluish white)(2000 DTS 6000k headlights and 3000k foglight - 6000k is the factory HID color on the Escalades).

Also, there are many many bootleg kits out there that a. become faulty in no time, b. non-digital ones create light flickering and power fluctuations and so forth.

I just now became a partner with my friend and we have been ordering Kits from Japan and Digital kits from China. Do not be ripped off by overpriced kits online or crappy low quality non-digital chinese kits.

Installation is very very easy with the proper kit. No rewiring or splicing of any sort. If you are forced to find a 12v contant to splice into the ballast power, then you do not have a digital kit.

The kits I can get are TRUE plug and play - contact me about this.

I do not want to spam this thread, i merely wanted to add my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts