Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V8 - 2014 F-150 SCREW
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to remove the factory projector and replace it with a morimoto hb, fx/r, or evox-r? I know on the F150s, the evox-r is almost a direct swap projector for projector.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I've not seen anyone do it ... but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

The stock ones are Valeo projectors and the high and low projectors can be swapped out independently (unlike the STS that has a single cast mold for both projectors).
You might be able to remove the projector without opening the housing but chances are slim. Before I found out that the STS used a cast mold for both high and low I think I was leaning towards the FX-R projectors...

I'd be hesitant to use the morimoto projector as the one to swap to unless you are using the D2S model but I don't think the square lens will look correct on the SRX.

I'd probably do a bi-xeon replacement for the lowbeam and keep the halogen high beam and have the HID highs come on with the halogen highs to give a nice output.

If you have some more money to burn you could try the quad retrofit but your cutoffs may not line up nicely and it may bother you, but then you could have quad HID lows and quad HID highs... on the STS I swapped out the fog projector with the Morimoto MH1 6.0 and integrated the highbeams into it.

If you have even more money to burn you could replace the fogs on the SRX with a Morimoto Mini H1 (or D2S with round lens) and replace the 4 projectors with quality bi-xeon ones ... and have 6 HID lows and 6 HID highs.

·
Registered
2004 SRX AWD V8 - 2014 F-150 SCREW
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've not seen anyone do it ... but that doesn't mean it hasn't been done.

The stock ones are Valeo projectors and the high and low projectors can be swapped out independently (unlike the STS that has a single cast mold for both projectors).
You might be able to remove the projector without opening the housing but chances are slim. Before I found out that the STS used a cast mold for both high and low I think I was leaning towards the FX-R projectors...
what do you mean by a cast mold for high and low? meaning that you can't remove them both in favor of one bi-xenon projector? I was thinking of replacing just the lows with a bi-xenon and leaving the highs in place (looks).

The F150 assembly is cast, but it can be disassembled. A new projector will fit behind the cast shroud...it's almost a direct replacement in most cases.

I loved my FX-R's
was it a direct swap replacement?

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
They were for a CTS and no not even close, you are going to have to do it the hard way, fire up the oven and get the tools out.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
what do you mean by a cast mold for high and low? meaning that you can't remove them both in favor of one bi-xenon projector? I was thinking of replacing just the lows with a bi-xenon and leaving the highs in place (looks). The F150 assembly is cast, but it can be disassembled. A new projector will fit behind the cast shroud...it's almost a direct replacement in most cases.
For the SRX there are two individual projectors that can be swapped out behind the OEM shroud which is part of the headlight assembly and not attached to the projector. You'll need to disassemble the entire housing to remove the OEM projectors to insert your replacement ones.
I too would keep the high beams in place and swap the low with a bi-xeon (most cost effective and you get to keep halogen highs and add HID highs).

Here are the details on the STS the lens holder / projectors are one cast component with removable bowls.... keep in mind the SRX internals are thankfully not like this.
There is still the dual projector shroud as part of the assembly. It would just be painful to fabricate a new mounting system to be able to adjust the headlights if a retrofit was done due to the design of the STS headlight.

More info:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/274268-disappointing-oem-hids-sts.html
Even more info (foglight retrofit):
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/411818-forward-exterior-lighting-improvements.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts