Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 CTS 4dr sedan. Drivers side low beam headlight gone out. Dealer said it was a HID bulb and they were almost 300 bucks a piece!

Is this true?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
I believe the OEM HID bulbs for your car are D1S. Dealer price for these is laughable.

Here's what Cadillac used as an OEM D1S on several models, Phillips Xenstart, for less than you'll pay for the cheap, inferior, incorrect color temp bulbs from the parts store:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/phd1sxehidtw.html

Always replace in pairs, as HIDs change color and brightness over time.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my understanding from reading here, that if the car does not have headlight washers, then it is not a HID system. Correct?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
josney said:
that has always been my understanding. its is also my understanding that the bulb type is stamped on the headlight housing.
This is true on both accounts. Though I forget at the moment where exactly the bulb size/type is stamped. It could be on the bottom edge of the lens. Or on the bottom edge of where the light beam comes from.

If you find it, post the letters/numbers on here. If I recall correctly for the non HID type, is HB#.

KOT

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
848 Posts
Yes, it's true. bulb is at least $300 from dealer. If your ballast burns out that's another $400. A whole assembly is about $900. I had a defect in the assembly last year (out of warranty). Everything had to be replaced. Plus $200 for taking off the bumper and putting it back on.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The low beam is out.....scanned codes last night: p0621 Gen lamp l control circuit. Does that mean there is something more than just the bulb?

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
P codes have nothing to do with the headlights. P codes are for powertrain codes, engine and what not.

For a headlight code, which I personally never seen one.

Would be under B for Body.

I actually just bought these last month and I installed them 3 weeks ago. One of mine was starting the flicker. Replaced the bulbs, as mentioned above replace both. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111399529950

KOT

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks interesting....because the scanner said p0621 "gen lamp L control circuit".....

Thanks

----------

Yep, that P0621 has nothing to do with a bad headlight.......something else to figure out......frustrating

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few months ago we had the ALT. replaced. Is it possible that this is a lingering code that was never cleared?

·
Registered
2007 CTS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't be too quick to believe what is stamped on the headlight lens. Mine have HB3a on them......upon disassembly I find that they are HID D1S. Dealer cost: $297.00,
local parts store: $99.99.....Amazon: $44.00 each.

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
jblakeslee said:
Don't be too quick to believe what is stamped on the headlight lens. Mine have HB3a on them......upon disassembly I find that they are HID D1S. Dealer cost: $297.00, local parts store: $99.99.....Amazon: $44.00 each.
HB3 are high beams, same with HB3a. The difference between the two is the angle of the connection. I believe HB3 are straight on, while HB3a is at a 90* angle.

Your lens should have the D1S stamp on it, a few inches higher than the HB3(a).

KOT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts