Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,708 Posts
A blue bulb won't give you the most light though. It may look brighter, but going through the filter to make it blue will cut down on the amount of light that actually makes it out of the bulb.

The HID headlamp assemblies from a newer Seville will fit, but they are veery expensive, because they include the bulb and ballast assembly. If your really looking for HID's, I would suggest a good aftermarket company. They are easy to install, and are very reliable, in most cases more reliable than OEM equipment. That what I did on my 1998 STS. Also, if you do go for HID's, they are different temperature ratings, depending on how much light you want, and what kind of color. The coolest bulbs (i.e. 4-5000 degrees kelvin) will produce the most actual light output, and will be very white. The higher you go in temperature (i.e.7-8000 degrees kelvin) the bulbs will produce a blue light, with a little less intensity than the cooler bulbs. At the end of the scale (i.e. 12-14000 degrees kelvin) the bulbs are now producing purlpe light, and have much less intensity than their cooler counterparts.

· Registered
3,708 Posts
RMSLS02 said:
What Temp did you get? I got a Gen III Slim Balast Kit from Philips at 6000k

I can't really remember, but I think they were around the 4300k area. I never really liked the blue HID's, and I also wanted the most light output possible, which is why I went with one of the coldest temp bulbs I could find. The kit I got (about 3 years ago now) had the older gen Philips ballast (shaped like a box..hehe) and Philips bulbs. Looking at the site I got them from now, they are using the gen 4 "ultra" slim philips ballast. They make mine look like I've got two refrigerators under my hood.

edit: It seems as though they will be selling the new ballasts individually. I think I might have to get two of the new ones, and free up some space under the hood..hehe.

· Registered
3,708 Posts
1998-2001 Sevilles did not have High Intensity Discharge bulbs standard. The benefit of having HID bulbs is that you get much bright, and more intense light than you can with halogen bulbs, because of how they work. Halogen bulbs use a conventional filiment like that of an incandescent bulb, but are filled with gas to aid in producing bright more intense light. HID bulbs do not have a filiment, but rather a chamber with two electrodes on either side, filled with Xenon gas, and a particular kind of sodium salt. The ballast sends a couple thousand volts across the two electrodes in the bulbs, energizing the Xenon gas and producing a bright arc across the inside of the chamber. This arc of electricity produced by the reaction of the voltage energizing the atoms of Xenon gas, is what produces the light (not so different from how a flourescent bulb works). This reaction also produces UV light, which helps illuminate reflective road signs much further down the road, than a halogen bulb ever could.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.