Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 05 X5 to get an 08 Escalade. The biggest reason for the switch is the third row seat. Currently, we have set of twins that are 2 years old, and a third one on the way, the second row on the X5 will not hold three car seats. My question to you guys is; do car seats fit properly in the third row seat? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Yes. Booster seats too. Great for kids, big adults - not so much.

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
but the third row seats lack the latch for the child seats and only have the single latch on the back of the seats...it's this reason why both my childseats are on the second row bench

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it's a standard Escalade (not an ESV - don't know how they're configured), you can use the rearmost cargo tie down rings to secure the top tether straps of the two outboard car seats. Then secure the car seats with the vehicle's seat belt (assuming your kid's young enough that he / she's still using the car seat's belts). Very secure - just not as convenient as having LATCH anchors, which are only on the middle row.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
211 Posts
I have two car seats (for 4 and 2-year-old) in the third row of my ESV. I simply use the seat belts to hold them in (no latch which is only available on one seat... WHY? GM, this seems stupid... the seats are the same why not two latches? but I digress...) I find the seat belts actually hold the seats more securely than the latch does (on my model seats, anyway). My kids have no trouble walking between the seats to climb in and with the second row seat folded forward, there's plenty of room for mommy or me to help buckle them in. This is also why I bought the Escalade: for the useful 3rd row. We also have a newborn in the second row in a "pumpkin" seat. And did I mention the dog who lives in the "way back?"

Oh my...

And another thought... if you get the bench second row (still available or '08?) then you CAN get three seats in a row. We thought we wanted to do that but decided that in a year or two, having everyone with their own space was going to be more important. The bench makes is nearly impossible to get to the back (3rd row) if you have three car seats in as you cannot fold it forward without removing a seat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have three BRITAX Car seats (not booster) across the second row. Have had no problems moving one seat to the back when I need more seating options.

·
Registered
Cadillac
82 Posts
but why did GM sort of place the latch randomly? on the 2nd row bench its only in the middle and the passenger side, where it needs to fold more often than the driver side. just dont understand GM's decision on latch placement

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
211 Posts
just dont understand GM's decision on latch placement
I suspect there was no real decision. Maybe some new (meaning, young with no children) engineer was assigned this task and won a promotion by saving $0.37 by not having them on every seat. They should be on every seat! Anyone from GM reading this? My 2001 Toyota had one on every seat although you could not possibly get three car seats in the second row (maybe boosters, but the car seats were too wide, it seems).

But, as Consumer Reports likes to point out, you can often get a better, tighter fit with a seatbelt than the latch. The tether hook needs to be there, though, on every seat.

Oh well... I guess GMs are just for old people with no child seats.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts