Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 allante
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the ignition but even tho iv done this on a few other cars iv either forgotten how it's done or this is something different any help would be greatly appreciated I love this car I want to get it on the road I saved it from the scrapyard an I've already put a ton of work into it

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,861 Posts
I need to change the ignition but even tho iv done this on a few other cars iv either forgotten how it's done or this is something different any help would be greatly appreciated I love this car I want to get it on the road I saved it from the scrapyard an I've already put a ton of work into it
=======================
you should get the FSM - Factory Service Manual -
I found one for $25 - including shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-CADILLAC-ALLANTE-SHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-ORIGINAL-GM-PUBLICATION-/221587764794?hash=item3397a8f63a&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Ignition??? switch on the column, key switch, ignition module? Please be more specific.

·
Registered
'91 Allante 135K , '92 Allante 75K , '92 Allante 50K
24 Posts
By ignition , I take it You are working with the distributor/coil/cap/rotor/module ?
Those are all part of the (secondary) ignition circuit . The primary ignition would be the ignition key lock/VATS and column switch and 12 volts feeding the primary side of your ignition coil. More specific You must be , for any helpful answer

·
Registered
1989 allante
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this is the first time I've ever used a site like this so I'm still learning it it an yes it is the rotor an ditributer cap with the vats I've done some research an they say that is a common problem with these types of cars I want to replace it but I can't figure out how to get the steering wheel off

·
Registered
'91 Allante 135K , '92 Allante 75K , '92 Allante 50K
24 Posts
Cap and rotor are very straightforward as You've found . The steering wheel is also easy once You know the way ... airbag must be removed which covers the large steering shaft bolt holding the wheel on. Airbag is held by four through bolts, I believe they are a Torx 25 or allen head bolt . You have to unscrew them from the rear of the steering wheel . In other words , when facing the wheel , reach behind ... hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts