Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

You have a very nice site here! I am new to the site and am looking to buy a Cadillac at a resonable price... I found one locally, checked it out (test drove) it seems to be OK, but it needs noticable work. I am willing to commit to doing the work, but this would be my first caddy. It is a 1989 Sedan Deville. After the test drive I put the parking brake on and couldn't figure how to take it off. I tried turning off the car and restarting, then tried shifting into gear and it was still on. The dealers assistant didn't know how either and she was the only one there. It is a small time (newer) dealer in the area and it probably the 1st time they've seen a Caddy too. I am interrested in buying the car but not if the park brake won't disengage? Can anybody give me a few pointers please? both about the park brake and anyplace I can buy interior replacement parts like door panels!! I've looked at every photo and read many of the discussions on the site and hope to be a helpful participant soon!!

thanks
Glenn

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
It's a pedal on the left side of the place your feet go, right? There should be a manual release lever somewhere if it doesn't release when you shift it. Probably right above the pedal. Then again I haven't seen a Caddy near your year (78 and 96 are the closest I know about) so I don't know.. someone else should be able to give a better informed answer.

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
There should be a small lever just to the right of the parking brake, if you follow the pedal upward.

If that works, then it could be a problem with the vacuum from the steering column release switch.

Here's a place you can get interior parts from:
http://www.dashtop.com/

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome....... Thanks for signing up :wave:

Could it be one of those you have to press again to release it???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody

thank you for your suggestions, I'll be taking a second look at the car within the next week if it is still for sale... I'll let you know how it turns out... I checked the dashtop website and didn't find any door panels for the 89 deville... does anybody else know of a good source for that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: thanks everybody

NEVERMIND - i NEEDED TO SEPARATE THE de and the ville instead of entering deville - i found the info on dash top

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts