1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All. Newbie in Cheyenne

Hi All,

I've been lurking for exactly one day. Couldn't resist signing up. Looks like this is a great board with great folks.

I've got a 1993 Deville sedan. It has 248k on it, original everything. I've given it synthetic motor oil since changing out the factory fill. Looks great inside and out, but it takes almost as much maintenance as an airplane. Engine compartment looks almost new. I've kept it garaged since it was a baby. I wish the speed limiter wasn't there. Bummer that it tops out at 110mph. :crying2:

I had a 1985 Deville. It had 238k on it before the head gasket let go after the water pump blew and I lost all the coolant. I also gave her synthetic oil for most of its life. The engine wasn't worth fixing so I gave her to a friend. Now she sits in the weeds.

I have a little 1984 Nissan KingCab 4x4 pickup (I've had it up to 117mph - it goes faster than my 93 Deville :annoyed: ) and a giant 2000 Ford :rolleyes: F-250 SuperCab diesel pickup.

I live in Cheyenne :cowboy: and go to church in Laramie :worship:. It's real windy here. :bonkers: I guess that's why only a few folks live in these parts.

I have a Piper Cherokee Six (seven passengers), a Piper Cherokee 180, a Cessna 182, a Piper Archer II, and three Cessna 172s. You guessed it, I are a pilot. Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! :burn:

I cycle a lot. I have the same bike that Lance Armstrong and the rest of the US Postal team use in their time trials. I don't know if they used it this year, but they've used it in prior years. It's the Trek 5200. I cycle about 22 miles a day. Great stress and headache reliever.

I love flyfishing, it's cool. :cool: And Mountain Biking (I ride a Trek 7000), it's also cool (I always wear a helmet because I don't want to relearn the alphabet and don't want to go through first grade again - I hated it the first time. :p ). And stargazing. And going to bed late. And getting up late. And eating cool foods. And drinking cool beers. :cheers:

Cheers,
Tim

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Welcome to CadillacForums! We may have to increase the number of Smilies you can put in a post, just for you - you maxed out! :D You may even be the first to use the Cowboy but don't bet the farm on it.

You sure do put a lot of miles on your Cadillacs. As for the speed limiter, all I can say is if you choose wisely, your next Caddy will be able to go *much* faster! ;)

So, what do you do in your spare time??

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
248k???? That is a lot of miles..... How is it running??? How much longer do you think it will go???

Welcome, and thanks for signing up.......

And just so you know, Jason (jadcock) was the first to use the cowboy..... :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SLS97, thanks for the welcome. I'm already enjoying things around here!

Sandman, I would have used more smilies, but I ran out of things to say. :banghead: Yeah, I drive a lot. Caddys are good cars to do that in. I call my caddy my "living room on wheels". Thank goodness for the stereo or else I'd go nuts talking to myself. Lessee...I mainly don't have any spare time. :) I don't have cable TV in my house, too much nonsense. However, I do get three channels off the antenna. I just set the VCR to tape the shows I like during the week and then Friday night, I watch 'em. I fill the rest of my time reading, reading, reading lots of periodicals and some books and hanging with friends. I also own an ISP (Internet Service Provider - Lonetree.Com), so I spend some time over there, too.

Elwesso, the '93 is running great! I was wondering myself how much longer it will run. The engine seems to be running fine. I'm worried about the tranny since it always throws code E39 when I go up hills between 50 and 67mph. E39 is the VCC lockup disengaging. Sounds like the 4th gear clutch is wearing out. It does impact economy, but it sucks anyway. I just checked my records since it was new (I keep very very very good records) and it has always gotten between 21 and 23 mpg between fillups on the highway (75mph) with the occassional spurt to 26 every now and then. It's experiencing a few more problems like severe stumble when it gets hot. I think it's a fuel pump. When I fix that problem, I think it will go for at least another 50k. I'll search the boards to see if anybody has had the problem before. I don't want to replace the fuel pump and all the associated work (e.g. dropping the tank) if that won't fix it.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Cheers,
Tim

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
thu said:
I would have used more smilies, but I ran out of things to say.
There's a limit of 10 images per post :contract:, including Smilies. You ran out of things to say just in time! :p

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Welcome aboard, Tim.. And thanks for signing up! I wonder if all that mileage has anything to do with the synthetic oil you always seem to use.. You do seem to get some high mileage out of your cars!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sal, I think the syn oil I use (Mobil 1) has much to do with the miles I'm able to put on the cars. Another significant factor is the maintenance I perform on it. Sometimes this car takes more maintenance than an airplane. :shocked2: However, it all pays off in longevity and reliability. Plus, it's fun especially with boards like this around.

Sandman, I haven't hit the speed limiter recently as the stoopid stumble problem hasn't let me get above 40 sometimes. I guess that's the new limiter - 40mph. :(

Tt

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
thu said:
Sometimes this car takes more maintenance than an airplane. :shocked2: However, it all pays off in longevity and reliability. Plus, it's fun especially with boards like this around.
Considering the miles you've got out of it, that maintenance seems well worth it.

Welcome to the board :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Hi All. Newbie in Cheyenne

thu said:
Hi All,

I've been lurking for exactly one day. Couldn't resist signing up. Looks like this is a great board with great folks.

I've got a 1993 Deville sedan. It has 248k on it, original everything. I've given it synthetic motor oil since changing out the factory fill. Looks great inside and out, but it takes almost as much maintenance as an airplane. Engine compartment looks almost new. I've kept it garaged since it was a baby. I wish the speed limiter wasn't there. Bummer that it tops out at 110mph. :crying2:

I had a 1985 Deville. It had 238k on it before the head gasket let go after the water pump blew and I lost all the coolant. I also gave her synthetic oil for most of its life. The engine wasn't worth fixing so I gave her to a friend. Now she sits in the weeds.

I have a little 1984 Nissan KingCab 4x4 pickup (I've had it up to 117mph - it goes faster than my 93 Deville :annoyed: ) and a giant 2000 Ford :rolleyes: F-250 SuperCab diesel pickup.

I live in Cheyenne :cowboy: and go to church in Laramie :worship:. It's real windy here. :bonkers: I guess that's why only a few folks live in these parts.

I have a Piper Cherokee Six (seven passengers), a Piper Cherokee 180, a Cessna 182, a Piper Archer II, and three Cessna 172s. You guessed it, I are a pilot. Zoom! Zoom! Zoom! :burn:

I cycle a lot. I have the same bike that Lance Armstrong and the rest of the US Postal team use in their time trials. I don't know if they used it this year, but they've used it in prior years. It's the Trek 5200. I cycle about 22 miles a day. Great stress and headache reliever.

I love flyfishing, it's cool. :cool: And Mountain Biking (I ride a Trek 7000), it's also cool (I always wear a helmet because I don't want to relearn the alphabet and don't want to go through first grade again - I hated it the first time. :p ). And stargazing. And going to bed late. And getting up late. And eating cool foods. And drinking cool beers. :cheers:

Cheers,
Tim
Hi Tim... I was once a Piper Dealer and am familiar with all the planes you have. Are you an FBO owner? Flight school? 135?

Of them all, the Cherokee 6 has always been my fav. Had a '67, then a '72, '74, and finally a '77 that I flew for many, many years before going to a Turbo Arrow.
Lost my medical in 2000, but am about to get it back... a BP thing, which is now under control.
Interesting situation, sold my last plane... a '77 Cruiser to a local FBO, now will be renting it from from time to time.
Have stayed "current" flying dual in a friend's RV-7 and another bud's XP. May be looking at buying another plane in partnership with my sons... who are both pilots.
In the '80s I was flying my little stunt plane [VFR only] from FL to Sun Valley and had quite an adventure crossing Wyoming. Took off from Cheyenne & winds forced me to land in Laramie; spent the nite and flew on to Rock Spgs, where again the Wx forced me to spend the night. Was sipping a beer in a cowboy bar when the biggest bar fight I'd ever witnessed broke out! Those cowboys do indeed love to fight?

Also will never forget the flight from Rock Spgs to Provo, thru those huge mtns. with a 150hp engine under the hood? That was a trip!

Anyhoo... thanks for the welcome! ...Misty

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SoundAdvantage, thanks for the welcome.

I change my oil every 5,000 or 6,000 miles. I have let it go beyond 7,000 on occassion. As often as I drive it, I almost never let it go beyond three months.

Thanks, all for the warm and generous welcome! :grouphug:

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Hi All. Newbie in Cheyenne

Hi Misty145,

I help found a new flying partnership here in windy Cheyenne, CYS. :cowboy: We just has our first anniversay! :D They say that if you can fly here, you can fly anywhere. :rolling: http://www.flycys.com. Also, take a look at http://www.WyomingFirstFlight.org.

I'm also a member of another flying partnership in Greeley, CO, GXY.

I just went flying in the 6-300 tonight to Laramie and back. Wonderful airplane - that big engine out front makes for a lot of fun. Wonderful, actually. It is now my favorite. 10 gallons an hour @ 145 kts @ 10,500ft @ 2300 RPM @ 1200*F EGT. My favorite was the Cessna 182. It's still a nice airplane, and I still fly it, but for passenger comfort and overall utility, it's hard to beat the 6-300. The Cherokee Six is like a nice Suburban and the Cessna 182 is like a regular ol' pickup truck. I love 'em both.

I don't have experience in anything turbo. Looking forward to it.

Good to hear you're getting your medical back. We need as many good men flying as possible. It's awesome that you have the enthusiasm to keep current by flying dual. That's the spirit!

Awesome your sons are pilots. A family that flies together stays together even if it's just hangar flying. As for the barfight you almost got dragged into, when they fight, they're just another way of saying they like each other unless it was over a girl :helpless: or Ford vs Chevy :histeric:. The guys you saw in the barfight were probably brothers. :)

I've been to Sun Valley on June 10. You fly out the way you came in and you fly into a deep valley between two mountains. Neato.

At that altitude, it must have been work to keep it up there. I bet it was fun, though. :angel:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts