Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are no "stupid" questions.

Was the '95 Eldorado ETC sold without RSS? I just bought a used ETC and it acts like my 2000 Olds Intrigue when it comes to handling. I am showing an S044 code and would like to know where to look for the suspension position sensors.

Do I have a wire off or has this thing been converted to a "passive" system? Or, maybe, I have bad shocks and struts?

Ed

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Well, I may not be Ranger, but I can answer your question. The 95 ETC either had RSS (Road Sensing Suspension), or SSS (Speed Sensitive Suspension). Both work in relativly the same way, and have many of the same components. The shocks and struts were the same in both systems, the only differences in the sytems was the way data was retreived from the driving environment.

S044-----Lift or Dive Signal Fault

This code is the product of the module comparing data received from the accellerometers to the data received from the wheel position sensors, and either getting different results, or getting results indicating that the struts are bad. Usually this code is just a computer fart, so I would just clear it and see if it comes back. Your system is most likely OEM and not passive, but the way to check is by looking for electrical connections going into the shocks and struts, if it has them its not passive.

The wheel position sensors are located right next to each shock and strut. They look like little mini-shocks, with an electrical connections going into them. The two front accellerometers are located in the engine compartment attached to the back of each strut tower. They look like a little black box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Krashed. It never ceases to amaze me how valuable this site is with people like you on. Thanks, again.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts