Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! A freind of mine was getting rid of his caddy and when I found out and snatched it up right away! After a blown 7M-GE I needed a new car and was NOT about to throw more money into my 90' supra.

So now i'm the proud owner of a 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. The inside is in amazing condition, the outside has a little rust but i'll be fixing and repainting that right away.

However, the car needs a new exhaust.

Besides saying hi I have a few questions i'm hoping you can help me with:

1) The car is in desprate need of some horse power, is there a supercharger or hi-flow intake or ANYTHING that can give me some more HP?

2) Could someone suggest a website that I could get a full exhaust?

3) What do you all think of Midnight Black Metallic for a paintjob? Any other suggestions?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actaully this is my first time owning a domestic...

Could someone point me in the right direction of a kit I could get for under $1,000 that'd give me the most (safe on the engine) horsepower?

EDIT: Ok I found out its a 472, After looking over the site It seems Cam's are the right way to go. If I upgrade the cams what else will I need for the engine to be able to withstand that kind of horsepower (The website claims a 12 second quarter mile so that has to be at least 490hp)

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
IV:XX said:
Actaully this is my first time owning a domestic...

Could someone point me in the right direction of a kit I could get for under $1,000 that'd give me the most (safe on the engine) horsepower?

EDIT: Ok I found out its a 472, After looking over the site It seems Cam's are the right way to go. If I upgrade the cams what else will I need for the engine to be able to withstand that kind of horsepower (The website claims a 12 second quarter mile so that has to be at least 490hp)
Welcome aboard,
I think you need to slow down just a little. By your comment about the engine having "cams" I take it you don't know much about engines, or at least old American V8s. First off, the engine only has ONE cam, and it will NOT give you a 12 second 1/4. Someone's been misleading you if that's what they told you.
There are a number of things you can do to increase power but remember you have an old motor to start off with. If you intend to try to coax some big power out of it, I would suggest a complete rebuild with the right parts from the bottom up. Doing it any other way will produce less than optimum performance and probably a rather short engine life. Next, if you increase the engine output, you need to make sure the rest of the drivetrain is up to the task. Bolting some REAL power up to a trans, driveshaft, or rear that are on their last legs will only produce a quick failure in the weak part.
I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys end up with a VERY expensive domino effect with their drivetrain. Play it smart, check out the WHOLE drivetrain first and save yourself a lot of headaches and money.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome!!! And thanks for signing up......

Maybe if you get the engine as it is now in perfect running condition it will be good enough for you...... Rather than spending all that money on peformance stuff....?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Keep in mind that it's a '74 and you DO need to get it smogged. Getting the horse power you're looking for is going to be very limited with having to do with smog.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
Keep in mind that it's a '74 and you DO need to get it smogged.

Not all of us live in the People's Republic of California so smog crap be damn!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome. Hope you get your car to where you want it. I'm with Wes though. Get it running smooth. Cruise along and smile! The Midnight Black Metallic sounds beautiful!
Have fun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, well I think i'm going to do get the engine running great (all it needs is a new exhaust which i'm still looking for) and then upgrade it to more like 300 horsepower. The car weighs 5,600 pounds and needs at least 300hp to run like i'd like it to.

I'll post before and after pictures soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts