Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was chagrinned to notice the "parking lot growl" when backing out of my parking space from work. I only notice it when first starting up; once I've driven a few miles and warmed everything up I don't notice the growling sound from the rearend. I have crawled under the car and found no evidence of any leaks from the rear; also installed a huge piece of cardboard on the garage floor as leak detection. :D I'm pretty sure if I report this to the dealership I'll get the "unable to duplicate" the problem answer because currently it's intermittent. Can you comment on how bad the "growl" should be before having it checked out? Like I said, so far it's only when in reverse and turning...pretty much only when backing out of a parking space. No whining...yet (except from the driver that is :lol:)

Is this a safety issue? What exactly happens when the diff fails? Is it a simple power loss situation or a lose control and wipe out thing? My car has ~8k miles on it. Thanks, Bill.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You must have the G80 option on your CTS.
It is just some chatter from the limited slip plates.
If you are in good with your service advisor tell them to look at PIP3152J
It reads something like this:

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Customer may comment of a shudder or bind from the rear of vehicle on low speed turns such as parking lot maneuvers on vehicles equipped with G80 limited slip rear axle. This condition may be more noticeable with the vehicle at operating temperatures.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Drive the vehicle to warm the rear axle and then drain the axle fluid. Refill with just the 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) axle lube and drive the vehicle about 10 minutes performing mostly parking lot turning maneuvers. Drain the rear axle again and mix 1200 ml of 89021677 (in Canada, use 89021678) and 74-89 ml of 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694) additive outside of the axle and then fill the rear axle with this mixture and re-evaluate.

If the noise returns or continues replace the rear differential right and left clutch packs using the Limited Slip repair procedure listed in eSI. Prior to installation of the clutch plates soak the plates for at least one hour in the additive part number 1052358 (Canadian P/N 992694). Wipe the excess additive from the new clutches before installing them. Fill the rear axle with the mixture as described above after clutch installation.

Part numbers are subject to change. Use any superseded part numbers if the part numbers in this document become discontinued.

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill--thanks so much for the reply. I know how busy you are and I appreciate this VERY much. (Actually I haven't had any Service Advisor yet so I'm hoping I'll "get in good" with them. :D)

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
magic 8 ball says......

:)

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
:lol: iits okay... i <3 the OP

·
Registered
41,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just dig that you "installed" cardboard in your garage. Any pics of the installation?
I'm planning a write up for the technical info section. I'll be sure to include pics. :highfive:

X

·
0 Posts
Could be your car groaning from the huge weight when you get in?:rofl: I'm sorry I couldn't resisit...
Last week I was chagrinned to notice the "parking lot growl" when backing out of my parking space from work. I only notice it when first starting up; once I've driven a few miles and warmed everything up I don't notice the growling sound from the rearend. I have crawled under the car and found no evidence of any leaks from the rear; also installed a huge piece of cardboard on the garage floor as leak detection. :D I'm pretty sure if I report this to the dealership I'll get the "unable to duplicate" the problem answer because currently it's intermittent. Can you comment on how bad the "growl" should be before having it checked out? Like I said, so far it's only when in reverse and turning...pretty much only when backing out of a parking space. No whining...yet (except from the driver that is :lol:)

Is this a safety issue? What exactly happens when the diff fails? Is it a simple power loss situation or a lose control and wipe out thing? My car has ~8k miles on it. Thanks, Bill.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
we were harassing RT (as u know here :rolleyes:) long before u were ever sitting behind the wheel of a cts sonny :thehand:

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
If RT will crawl under a car, get up on a 10ft ladder, break countless power yard tools, and fishtail "babe" all over Texas, she will make quick work of all of you.

I am trying to stay on your good side Sarah.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts