Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1991 caddy deville that i just baught about a month ago, my problem started a few days ago when i was very low on fuel. the car began running very rough when i filled the tank it smoothed out but then the next day my problem began. if i get in the car cold and take off there is all the power i can get but as soon as the car warms up and i step on the gas it hesitates almost like there is no gas, let off the gas and it is ok, i have tried gas line treatments etc, also if i shut the car off wait a few minutes then start and go it is fine but after a few moments it hesitates again, it is now doing it while in park and stepping on the gas, it chokes like it is getting no gas and sometimes makes slight backfiring noises, let off the gas and slowly accelerate and it is ok." i must add that a few days after purchasing the car i went on a short day trip to pennsylvania and it dogged badly on the hills until i stopped to refuel and added a fuel additive then it was fine after that, i do not know if these two instances are related or not but any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
Well it sounds like to start, not knowing your maintenance history, but I would give it a tune up and definietly change the fuel filter. Of course there are other possibilites, such as the fuel pump, but that would be the most logic. And if you are using dry gas, stop, that stuff is good for old cars but the newer cars with the electric fuel pumps don't like it, the nylon bushings get eaten up by the chemicals in the dry gas (if you use it a lot) and the fuel pump goes bad after a while. Just a little live and learn FYI, I had an eldorado that happened to, and Cadillac told me what I was doing wrong.

Jack

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Powdered gas.... just add water....... :D

·
Registered
02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,
219 Posts
Ha ha!! "Dry gas" is either methanol or more commonly isopropanol (less toxic), both alcohols. Water is soluble (dissolves in) the alcohol. The alcohol is also soluble in gasoline....what "dry gas" does is dissolves the water into the gasoline, preventing it from separating in the tank/lines etc. and thus prevents the lines from freezing. If used to often Alcohol will dry up nylon and plastic making it brittle.

Jack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts