Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '97 Deville with 136K on the Odo. Had it for 5 years now (2nd owner) and except for the usual maintenance and wear issues that always seem to require more attention ($$) than we plan for, overall it's been a good 5 years of ownership.

Now to the problem. On starting the car again after it's already been warmed up and then accelerating into traffic, the car has just "died" - all key power drivers cease (engine, pwr steering, brakes, etc.). Curiously, the accessories don't appear to be affected (radio, antenna, lights). Then, while drifting into the stall lane, I put the car into NEUTRAL and it re-starts - fires right up, no problems at all. A dropshift to DRIVE and I'm back on my way with no further symptoms.

This has happened twice in the past 3 weeks - once when the fuel level was low and once when there was a good 10 gallons in the tank. The 1st time, I figured it might have been a result of some dirty gas or somesuch that might have buggered up the injectors but when it happened again, the car had 10 gallons left in the tank from an earlier fill up and I'd included a 5 oz. "squirt" of Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injector Cleaner for good measure.

Any good thoughts out there as to the problem or where to begin the investigations?

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Try resetting the computer. Disconnect the leads from the battery and let it sit for a good 15 minutes. Then touch the leads together and reconnect the battery. This will cause the computer to relearn how to run your engine and it shouldn't gimp out again.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip - have you experienced the same problems that i've described, DCF?

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Nope, but its worth a try. When all else fails, blame the computer.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
LOL that's funny. Could be, it sounds electrical without actually experiencing how it feels when it cuts out.

Take a look at things under the hood. Wires going to the coil, etc. I don't think all the injectors would get whacked out at the same time so a complete cutout / stall it difficult to blame on injectors.

Lack of fuel maybe from a faulty FPR or weak pump.

Without experiencing the issue first hand it's difficult to distinguish between electrical and fuel.

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Frosty, it must be the Ottawa traffic, LOL, seriously, have you checked the codes? You might be having some problem with the Ignition switch or Transaxle Range Switch..The fact that it started in Neutral is a clue. Also does it have a Security System from the Factory? If there are codes, it should point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Does that year have a crank sensor?

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
If it only happens on acceleration, check all your engine grounds and your motor mounts. Sounds like the engine may be rocking on acceleration due to a worn front motor mount an putting a strain on wiring somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts