Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:kitty:
So, we moved a junked printer across our back yard and spilled some color toner. We forgot to clean it up right away and our cat, a 'Tuxedo' cat, black with white socks and face, stepped in the yellow stuff. So, I had to give the little guy a bath.
:cat:

We got him 12 years ago as a half grown, half wild stray. He has never been a lap cat, very independant. In fact, he had he habit of stalking and attacking family members every now and then. He doesn't do that to me because I established alpha seniority with the little dude, I attack him back! :D

As he has aged he has mellowed quite a bit. He cries for my attention every day. I let him know he is loved and appreciated. So, I have to give him a bath. He hates water, hates baths. He did very well though, his cry was pitiful but he never tried to scratch or bite me. He did try to end it prematurely and who could blame him? We both got through it without incident, now he's sneaking about, worried that some other atrosity will befall him. He'll be fine as soon as he dries off completely, until then he has to stay inside.

Just thought I'd share. Any one else have fun bathing cats?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,105 Posts
I can't imagine that bathing a cat would be much fun. Once I had to try to help a friend get her cat into one of those transporters to go to the vet and ended up all scratched in the process, and I've never heard howls come from a cat before that, but I can imagine what it must have sounded like.

:kitty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,146 Posts
Kev is the Alpha male. All the wild animals must obey. Hoooooooowwwwwwwwllllllll.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trick is to grab and hold them by the nape of the neck, reminds them of when they were carried by thier mothers. They tend to curl up and become subdued. Wish that worked with my kids.....:thepan:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
I know that trick but it does NOT work worth anything with my friends sisters cat named Booger. That little bastard is declawed in the front but the back claws can still get you. He lodged one of his claws about 1/6" deep in my friend's arm when he tried to stick him in the water. If he ever needs a bath again we're throwing him in the apartments pool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Kev said:
The trick is to grab and hold them by the nape of the neck, reminds them of when they were carried by thier mothers. They tend to curl up and become subdued. Wish that worked with my kids.....:thepan:
:yup: & :yup:

My parents showed Norwegian Forrest Cats for about 10 years, so MOST Friday evenings were spent bathing & grooming. 5-10 years ago, they were gone up to 48 weekends a year. Since Pop died a couple years ago, Mom's doing about 15 shows a year, showing Tonkinese (no bathing required). They were all easy enough to bathe, once they learned the routine. I'm glad your guy accepted it without getting out of hand! :spin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davesdeville said:
I know that trick but it does NOT work worth anything with my friends sisters cat named Booger. That little bastard is declawed in the front but the back claws can still get you. He lodged one of his claws about 1/6" deep in my friend's arm when he tried to stick him in the water. If he ever needs a bath again we're throwing him in the apartments pool.
Well, the other trick is, never put them in standing water. I guess the term bath is technically incorrect. I wash him in the stainless steel kitchen sink using the spray nozzle with a warm gental spray. I try not to get his face or ears directly wet. So, I supose it's a 'kitty shower'.

The trick with the nape of the neck requires a previous relationship of love and trust if it's to work out where the little beast refrains from breaking skin! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
I have four cats and one of them sounds just like yours. This cat weighs 20 LBS and is muscle, I am not strong enough to hold the little booger. He HATES the water and is not afraid to go apeshit when he gets put in the tub. I am about ready to put him in the toilet add a little bit of soap and flush a few times :sneaky: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,963 Posts
We have a cat but I have to say I'm not a fan of cats in general. It's an 'indoor cat' so we don't have to bathe her. Cats keep themselves very clean - that's about the only thing useful about them. I feel kind of bad for our cat sometimes as she's really just a living chew toy for the dog. The dog likes to keep her on her toes. She doesn't chase the cat all the time, she'll do it at random. As a result, the cat is on edge 24 x 7 - sneaking around corners, darting across rooms and hiding out. I really don't see the cat much actually. A lot of our friends didn't even know we had one until we mentioned it. But it's not all bad. The cat has found places where she can hang out where the dog can't reach her.

Anyway, when you mentioned the toner I thought you were going to say your cat ate it. But cats are smarter than dogs. Dogs will eat anything. 3 weeks ago my dog ate the sludge left over from a very thorough cleaning of my grill. I used Zep oven cleaner and scraped all the crap into a garbage bag. The dog ate it. All of it. I didn't know she had eaten it until, in the middle of the night, she puked it all up in giant piles of sludge including pieces of foil, rust and match sticks, on our nice neutral beige carpet in my bedroom. I was sleeping and heard her pumping it up (if you have a dog you know what this sound is). I was too tired to get out of bed, plus trying to get her outside at that point would just mean there would be puke dispersed throughout the house rather than all in one place where it's easier to clean. And by the time the pumping woke me up she had already coughed up a bunch of it anyway. I just went back to sleep. In the morning when I flicked on the light I could not believe the carnage. I had never seen such a disgusting mess. The biggest problem was how to clean it up. It was greasy black sludge so wiping it would just smear it into the carpet.

To make a long story longer, I cleaned it up (if you have kids and/or pets invest in a spot cleaner and a good enzyme-based cleaner - works wonders) and called the pet poison control center. They didn't think the prognosis was good. The oven cleaner burns going in and burns coming out. Plus since she couldn't hold any food down she likely had a 'blockage'. We had to put her on a special diet of home-cooked chicken and rice. The next day the blockage cleared by way of a giant pile of grill sludge from her back end. She's been fine ever since.

I still like dogs better than cats.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
Cats are not smart, or graceful. Anyone who believes they are, I'll intro you to mine. Have the one who can fall off the back of the couch walking along it, all of them can come up short on their jumps onto stuff, Lola who WILL eat anything... She eats chips, popcorn, cheese dip, tallo (wax n fat used for sculptures), anything youhold in front of her face... Izual has about 4 functioning brain cells, they can figure out, "pet me" "oh, you love me" "love you" and "run to the potty" That's about the end of his thinking...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
turbojimmy said:
We have a cat but I have to say I'm not a fan of cats in general. It's an 'indoor cat' so we don't have to bathe her. Cats keep themselves very clean - that's about the only thing useful about them. I feel kind of bad for our cat sometimes as she's really just a living chew toy for the dog. The dog likes to keep her on her toes. She doesn't chase the cat all the time, she'll do it at random. As a result, the cat is on edge 24 x 7 - sneaking around corners, darting across rooms and hiding out. I really don't see the cat much actually. A lot of our friends didn't even know we had one until we mentioned it. But it's not all bad. The cat has found places where she can hang out where the dog can't reach her.

Anyway, when you mentioned the toner I thought you were going to say your cat ate it. But cats are smarter than dogs. Dogs will eat anything. 3 weeks ago my dog ate the sludge left over from a very thorough cleaning of my grill. I used Zep oven cleaner and scraped all the crap into a garbage bag. The dog ate it. All of it. I didn't know she had eaten it until, in the middle of the night, she puked it all up in giant piles of sludge including pieces of foil, rust and match sticks, on our nice neutral beige carpet in my bedroom. I was sleeping and heard her pumping it up (if you have a dog you know what this sound is). I was too tired to get out of bed, plus trying to get her outside at that point would just mean there would be puke dispersed throughout the house rather than all in one place where it's easier to clean. And by the time the pumping woke me up she had already coughed up a bunch of it anyway. I just went back to sleep. In the morning when I flicked on the light I could not believe the carnage. I had never seen such a disgusting mess. The biggest problem was how to clean it up. It was greasy black sludge so wiping it would just smear it into the carpet.

To make a long story longer, I cleaned it up (if you have kids and/or pets invest in a spot cleaner and a good enzyme-based cleaner - works wonders) and called the pet poison control center. They didn't think the prognosis was good. The oven cleaner burns going in and burns coming out. Plus since she couldn't hold any food down she likely had a 'blockage'. We had to put her on a special diet of home-cooked chicken and rice. The next day the blockage cleared by way of a giant pile of grill sludge from her back end. She's been fine ever since.

I still like dogs better than cats.

Jim
LOL!
ShadowLvr400 said:
Cats are not smart, or graceful. Anyone who believes they are, I'll intro you to mine. Have the one who can fall off the back of the couch walking along it, all of them can come up short on their jumps onto stuff, Lola who WILL eat anything... She eats chips, popcorn, cheese dip, tallo (wax n fat used for sculptures), anything youhold in front of her face... Izual has about 4 functioning brain cells, they can figure out, "pet me" "oh, you love me" "love you" and "run to the potty" That's about the end of his thinking...
I have found that cats and dogs are as individual as people. Some are smart and some are...... well... not. Mine is pretty clever, he has survived our family and neighborhood for the last 12 years. He survived most of his first 6 mos on his own. At first he seemed too independant to me. He was very picky about showing any affection. That's what I like about dogs over cats, they let you know when they like you or when they don't. But as mine has matured he has become more affectionate. He likes us being around and lets us know it now.

He's pretty good size, I haven't weighed him lately so I'm not sure how big he is. People have remarked that he is big but I have seen bigger. As with any pets that have the ability to show unconditional love as we see it, it is very therapeutic to have him around when you are feeling down or bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a picture of the little guy for any interested. I've posted this in the pet/pics thread before.


I don't bathe him too often, only when he gets into something smelly or in this case, I didn't want him to lick the toner off his fur while self cleaning.

Because he is indoor and outdoor he sometimes treats himself to a dirt bath, so he is not always that clean. He is after all only an animal.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Kev
Top