Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ct6

Anybody see the new CT6 the other night? It appears to be an attractive car, like all the current Cadillacs, but I do think they went too safe with the design. I'm sure the interior is going to be fantastic, but the S-Class is tough competition and I'm not sure this car will be interesting enough to draw people in.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
The ct6 is not the s class fighter. It will be more comparable to cls, bmw gran coupe.

I like how it looks, the roof line seems low like the bmw, hopefully they don't butcher the back. But it looks wide and squatted. Beautiful lights too

·
Registered
none now, but will look at CT5. 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. Former 14 ATS 3.6
218 Posts
Re: Ct6

To me it looked a lot like the current CTS.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts

I don't like the new naming convention, why copy what everyone else is doing when you're trying to claim some unique new branding?

I think the headlight LEDs are a little overkill, they should just leave the outer vertical strips like they have been. I'm sure the car is going to be extremely nice with fine materials. Not a car I'll be in the market for but will be interesting to see what Cadillac does with it. The XTS was a belly flop. It could never compete with a full-size luxury sedan from Europe...or even Korea.

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
It seems someone in marketing thinks that other people looking at or driving other brands with a acronym based name thinks that the buyers and owners of said cars thought that the name was sooooo cool that that's why they bought it.

Reality check... If the car is bad ass you could call it raging horse shit, and people would buy.

Oh boy did see janes new raging horse shit?
Yeah I really love it in black.

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts

but it does make sense from a comparison perspective. The key is to get them to even be considered before that applies and as you said if its on the shop for list name is less relevant although history has shown names do matter.

·
Registered
548 Posts

It seems someone in marketing thinks that other people looking at or driving other brands with a acronym based name thinks that the buyers and owners of said cars thought that the name was sooooo cool that that's why they bought it.

Reality check... If the car is bad ass you could call it raging horse shit, and people would buy.

Oh boy did see janes new raging horse shit?
Yeah I really love it in black.
Not true at all! There are people that will not buy a car because of the name. Have you not seen any of the Buick ads? My fiance didnt want the Regal GS because it's named Buick.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts

Bad Car Names:

Ford Pinto = small man genitals in Portuguese
Chevy Nova = "doesn't go" in Spanish
Mazda Laputa = "Hooker" in spanish
AMC Matador = Killer or Murderer in Spanish

so since going international is way important to GM especially China who know what Seville, Deville, Eldorado would translate into in Mandarin or Cantonese

other unfortunate names:

Daihatsu Charade
Ford Probe
AMC Gremlin

·
Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,160 Posts
I do see your point, as a tag it does cause expectations, met or disappointed. But the point is that if you have a great product a lot can be overlooked and even forgotten in a name. And on the other hand it could make a crazy name most memorable, if the car is a feat of engineering genius. I just thought that maybe quality might be more important. At the end of the day it's the car that the badge represents. Some fishing line can solve the name if one doesn't like it. Just saying.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,395 Posts

I personally like the new naming convention and don't see a "CT6" selling any fewer than the "YTS" (or whatever the next "TS" would have been). If it fails it won't be because of the name.

Edit: If they hadn't changed the current naming convention (ATS, CTS, XTS) and are coming out with the CT6, talk about a car above this one and then eventually a car smaller than the ATS, what would you suggest they name these three cars and also plan for the future?

From what I have seen the car looks good and for me a far better product than the XTS and more in line with what they have done with the ATS and CTS. From what I can tell it has a new turbo 6 and maybe this will end up in other cars. Not a car for me, had a loaner CTS this week and really prefer smaller cars.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts

If indeed this is how it will look:

as opposed to what Car & Driver thought it would be based on Spy photos,

I would have taken the C&D design hands down over what it really is going to look like. Fore the life of me, why they don't incorporate the ever popular Elmiraj concept design is way beyond me. It would be an instant hit and big seller IMO. This new CT6 design is a let down for me.....too plain looking. The rear end seems waaaay out of proportion (from what little I can see from some spy photos) as well.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't think they're showing us all the lines in that commercial and I do think it's going to be some nice surprises on this new car. What you have to do is go take a look at the Buick website at their new four door sedan concept car which I hear they are bringing to market..it's a striking car and I will only imagine CT six will be even more phenomenal.

In addition there was an article yesterday that the Cadillac brass confirmed an upcoming brand-new TwinTurbo V8 just for Cadillac!! That would be very exciting if the New York City unveiling at the auto show confirms this new engine in the CT6

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts

In addition there was an article yesterday that the Cadillac brass confirmed an upcoming brand-new TwinTurbo V8 just for Cadillac!! That would be very exciting if the New York City unveiling at the auto show confirms this new engine in the CT6
It would be unlike GM to keep the v8 twin turbo to just Cadillac. I suspect that engine will be shared with rumored mid-engine Corvette.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,395 Posts

It would be unlike GM to keep the v8 twin turbo to just Cadillac. I suspect that engine will be shared with rumored mid-engine Corvette.
There have been some rumors that the "Mid engine Corvette" will actually be a Cadillac so this could possibly keep the engine a Cadillac. To me this makes more sense than a front engine and rear engine Corvette, both sitting the same showroom, being shopped at the same time by the same people. Would lift Cadillac brand image and not upset or hurt the Corvette group.

Just more rumors.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts

personally i've felt that Corvette needed to leave the Chevy roost a long time ago and become it's own brand here are some of my thoughts and reasons:

Chevy as a brand is vanilla and toyota/Honda Beige which is not a bad thing since toyota/honda are primary competitors of theirs, Corvette on the other hand is not vanilla it's rather spectacular in C7 form...this is not just chevy I also think the GTR should have been an infinity

chevy sales folks must face a terrible challenge selling cars against toyota/honda....then having to pivot and become a work/higher duty expert that a truck salesperson needs to be only to have to pivot again and be able to hold their own against the type of buyers after $100k sports cars....imagine a honda/dodge/porsche dealer.......weird right? but that is exactly every chevy dealer

A standalone corvette brand can focus on taking on porsche and expand the lineup....giving car enthusiasts like us more sporty offerings they could have a soltsice/sky like car on the low end a cayman/boxter fighter and just call it corvette...the C7 continues as Corvette Stingray naturally aspirated 911 fighter...and a mid engined hypercar we could call the Corvette Zora as a 911 turbo and above fighter

could be sweet...or Cadillac can do this and have CT* be sedans and XT* be SUVs and something like RT* be sports cars and make cars to go after Z4/SLK, AMG GT/R8/911/i8

·
Registered
64 Posts

personally i've felt that Corvette needed to leave the Chevy roost a long time ago and become it's own brand here are some of my thoughts and reasons:

Chevy as a brand is vanilla and toyota/Honda Beige which is not a bad thing since toyota/honda are primary competitors of theirs, Corvette on the other hand is not vanilla it's rather spectacular in C7 form...this is not just chevy I also think the GTR should have been an infinity

chevy sales folks must face a terrible challenge selling cars against toyota/honda....then having to pivot and become a work/higher duty expert that a truck salesperson needs to be only to have to pivot again and be able to hold their own against the type of buyers after $100k sports cars....imagine a honda/dodge/porsche dealer.......weird right? but that is exactly every chevy dealer

A standalone corvette brand can focus on taking on porsche and expand the lineup....giving car enthusiasts like us more sporty offerings they could have a soltsice/sky like car on the low end a cayman/boxter fighter and just call it corvette...the C7 continues as Corvette Stingray naturally aspirated 911 fighter...and a mid engined hypercar we could call the Corvette Zora as a 911 turbo and above fighter

could be sweet...or Cadillac can do this and have CT* be sedans and XT* be SUVs and something like RT* be sports cars and make cars to go after Z4/SLK, AMG GT/R8/911/i8
You'll notice the new C7 doesn't feature a Chevy badge anywhere. Similar to Hyundai's treatment of the Genesis. I don't think it needs to be it's own brand because it sort of already is. The latest generation shows that they FINALLY decided to make it a true world-class sports car. It's not sharing the same steering wheel from the Malibu anymore. Frankly, the Vette, ATS/CTS, and maybe the SS are the only cars I'd ever consider worth buying from an American manufacturer. I guess just my opinion but the rest to me seem like Nissan-like, cheap and not as good. I feel like a lot of Chevy's line is geared towards rental cars, I have no idea why someone would spend actual money they earned on a car like that. It's one thing if it was given to you for free, but I'd much prefer a used superior product.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
You'll notice the new C7 doesn't feature a Chevy badge anywhere. Similar to Hyundai's treatment of the Genesis.
Off topic, but this line caught my attention. I noticed recently while looking for some info on Hyundai that the U. S. spec Genesis and Equus have the slanted H on the trunk, but the Korean spec ones don't. Curious.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Off topic, but this line caught my attention. I noticed recently while looking for some info on Hyundai that the U. S. spec Genesis and Equus have the slanted H on the trunk, but the Korean spec ones don't. Curious.
I think they are ripping off Lexus. The Eqqus and Genesis are both great cars, I'm excited for their future. I think the Genesis is a generation away from being a legitimate sports sedan competing with the likes of the CTS Vsport, S6, 5 series, etc. I'm sure the next Eqqus is going to be nuts. With the Kia 900 (Kia variant of the Eqqus) they chose to leave the Kia emblems. I think they are making small attempts to make people feel comfortable with their brand playing in those segments. At first it had to be highly differentiated from their brand where I think now they are trying to take the brand up market through price appreciation. I'm not sure if they have enough traction yet, but will be interesting to see play out.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts