Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dejavu for some of you that have followed my past thread.

Had garage sale which brought my neighbor from adjacent street over, and turns out he is a mechanic. After doing a pressure test, and witnessing the engine running, seeing the leaks, he claims to be able to fix the engine for 100 dollars. Says, there is no blown head gasket, no misses either. That he will fix the radiator, and the other leak for 100 dollars. That the timing is off, and radiator fan is not coming on soon enough, so he will make it come on sooner. Claims he worked on norstars before, but will not do a head gasket because of the time it takes to perform repairs.

So for 100 dollars, I will let him humor me.

Only catch is, I have to flush the coolant out before giving it to him, because he smelled it and says something is in it. That would be the stop leak stuff, which he wants me to flush out before bring car over.

I Hope to see him after wednesday.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
What is going on? Are you overheating? What did you do the last time, I forget? Fix the head gaskets (with Timeserts) or replace the engine?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
94 Seville STS

Originally, dealer timeserted and replaced head gaskets. Then 10 months / 16k miles later losing coolant again. Dealer claimed it was blown gasket right away, said it failed the combustion gases test in coolant. Then I tried Thermagasket but it failed to fix my problem (or did I really have a blown gasket?)

1. Took to repair shop, they rodded out radiator, and replaced t-stat.

2. Drove car locally for many months because it kept overheating, and losing coolant going up hills.

3. Got to point where I am now, radiator is leaking steam, and engine has coolant leaking on bottom, where the leak is at exactly I do not know.

4. Investigated engine replacement, but used engine might get me another problem, and remanufactured engine is not available online, or was too costly locally. A newer engine is available but needs an adapter kit for it to work in my year car. Just not cost effective.

Now at the point of wife just put a for sale sign on car today during our garage sale, and neighbor / mechanic from down the street looks at it, and thinks he can fix it for 100 dollars. I am sceptical because it was overflowing out overflow hose just before the leak on underside of engine and radiator developed. I put stop leak in it to try and stop the leaks, but they only stopped temporary. Also, it was overflowing out hose at temps lower than 220 before leaks developed.

This mechanic seemed very certain that it is not a head gasket, and only needs the leaks fixed. Heck if he can fix the leaks, I can at least drive it locally again for a little while. One thing that caught me by surprise is, he claims that the radiator is not new. I know I bought a new radiator from dealer, but after thermagasket, had it rodded out. Also when it came back from the radiator shop, I noticed cold spot on upper driverside corner. That is the spot where it is leaking steam now.

This mechanic is retired, but very busy so I have to wait until wednesday to call him.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
Originally, dealer timeserted and replaced head gaskets. Then 10 months / 16k miles later losing coolant again. Dealer claimed it was blown gasket right away, said it failed the combustion gases test in coolant.
Didn't they warranty their work? Sounds like they didn't Timesert it or did it wrong.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you don't remember, it was a 12 month / 12k mile warranty, it was 16k miles when we took it in.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I guess its only 100 bucks, but then again it is 100 bucks.

Something sounds "r-fishy" to me, but if it was TRULY timeserted properly Id say this guy may just be the ticket.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
confused...

I did a good flushing of coolant with Prestone flush in order to get the stop leak stuff out, did according to instructions on bottle. While in there, took out the thermostat and did the stove test, its new and opened at 195 degrees.

I did notice a couple of things.

1. With radiator cap off, I watched as the engine warmed up for signs of bubbling in overflow tank. Close to the temp T-stat opens, I saw all kinds of bubbling come up out of pressure tank. I put the cap on, and it seemed to hold engine temps as normal. While in park, I could let it rise to 216, give it a bit of gas and temp will come down to 203. Fans were normal. I repeated this cycle over and over again. So speeding up the engine, speeds up the water pump and it cools down the engine.

2. I drove for 10 minutes, when I got home I noticed small amount of water was coming out of overflow tube. When I turned engine off, it stopped. I suppose this could be equalizing from just topping off. During the drive temp stayed normal 203-207 with AC on.

3. How can this be, it is not leaking underneath engine anymore that I can see, and radiator does not have steam coming out at top either? Only difference is no coolant, just plain tap water for right now. Engine ran great.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
Remember, with the cap off, the system is unpressurized and will boil sooner. So the bubbles you saw might have been normal boiling bubbles. The bubbles you do not want to see are the ones that come when the engine is still well below normal operating temperature aka false boiling.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah yes very good point about the boiling. It will be interesting to see if the water level is normal, I will check that in the morning when it is cool. Im sure with the mechanics pressure tester, he can find those other leaks again.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go figure, the coolant level is normal this morning. I ran engine everything seems to be fine with just water in it, no more leaks either. Im baffled by that. Could be ideal time to do a trade in.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Intermittent, slow, invisible leaks are usually from the water pump or the thermostat housing or one of the 3 or 4 gaskets used there... This is a common N* problem and these gaskets, pumps and housings have been "upgraded" and redesigned at least 3 times since 94...

You do have a new water pump and thermostat housing?

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
:food-snacking:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The water pump was replaced same time as the head gaskets, so it is newer. Leak was seen from the water pump side underneath somewhere, I do not have lift and am unable to get underneath to see where exactly. I suppose it could be water pump, or housing. I guess we will see tomorrow if mechanic looks at it. I just hope leaving all this water in the system won't cause corrosion problems. Planning on dumping it after he fixes the leaks and adding coolant then.

Say a prayer...

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
:food-snacking:
Amen! :rofl:

The water pump was replaced same time as the head gaskets, so it is newer. Leak was seen from the water pump side underneath somewhere, I do not have lift and am unable to get underneath to see where exactly. I suppose it could be water pump, or housing. I guess we will see tomorrow if mechanic looks at it. I just hope leaving all this water in the system won't cause corrosion problems. Planning on dumping it after he fixes the leaks and adding coolant then.

Say a prayer...
That is EXACTLY the place were either the crossover pipe or the water pump leaks... Bet you anything that all of your problems are related to a $2.65 water pump impeller gasket that the dealer under or over torqued.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cadillac has to wait again. I tried calling mechanic all day, and voice mail only. Finally got concerned about getting voice mail all the time, so walk over to his house, and found him injured. Apparently he had an accident and was in hospital last few days, and just got home.

I guess we need more prayers...

Pray harder!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Mechanic did not show up on Friday as promised, does not answer phone calls, and now does not answer the door. Very frustrating to say the least.

I was on my way to autozone to do a pressure test, and see water leaking on ground from where it was previously leaking. Not out of overflow hose, (water pump side), and is not steaming out of upper radiator as before the flush. Why radiator leak stopped, I do not know.

No sense in pressure testing since it is obviously leaking. Bottom line, I still need to get the leaks fixed, still need to find a competent person in my area that won't charge me an arm and leg.

Just hope this isnt the case of leaks caused by blown Head Gasket. Strange thing is, suddenly after the Prestone Flush, the engine is maintaining temperature perfectly. Just seems to be losing coolant is the problem now. Could this have been a case of clogged cooling system all a long? I mean to say, when I hit the gas now, the temperature drops. Without a doubt, Water pump is pumping water through the system.

By the way, anyone know how long I can leave water only in the system?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 9am appointment with Goodyear place. Really makes me mad to have to pay $46.50 just to have them put it up on lift and tell me where the leak is.

Blah...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well to all those that were following my story...

Took car to GoodYear place, they put pressurized the coolant system, put up on lift, and showed me the leak.

Drivers side Front Head Gasket has coolant pouring out of it. Odd thing to me anyway, the Gasket does not appear to be torn or anything in that area.

So apparently is a blown head gasket again. Mystery solved.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts