Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
96 FWB
4,559 Posts
Interesting take. Almost makes me want to go out and scarf up some Excursions. Almost.

· 2009 Escalade
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unlike the non truck bodied Cadillacs, the factory and aftermarket parts supply is nutso great.

I read that people visiting from other countries often wonder why Americans buy trucks for their primary vehicle when they don’t actually use it for work.

As much a the US loves their trucks, I’m sure there’s another generation completely in awe you can buy a preowned Escalade for under $20k that’ll have another 100-150k miles left in the truck but can be serviced at an Indy or Chevy dealer.

· Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
204 Posts
As an european who drive's an Escalade I can enlighten a little. First, we do not call these trucks, just big cars. Light truck here is vehicle over 3500kg GVWR and heavy trucks over 12000kg GVWR. That also brings 80-90 km/h speed limit(er), depending on country, which is why only half-ton is popular (among people who need one). Truck word is mostly used for vehicles that are heavy duty trucks in US parlance.

I live in northern europe where we have a little more space and longer distances than central/southern europe so it's useful (we take long trips to our home country so need the cargo space). Germany maybe an exception but trucks are too slow for autobahns.

Also, our weather is shittier than most of the states so more people use vans than pickups.

And gas is really expensive here :)

· 2009 Escalade
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yes, Europe. Where everyone takes a vacation (holiday) and most businesses do the same. There’s a general level of balance and appreciation for life in general when the entire family can spend time together for weeks at a time.

I discovered that phenomenon while working at GE here in Calif. GE was an international Co until a few greedy Mr. Burns types broke them up and sold them off into pieces. Essentially we worked 9 months out of the year, had a pension, a 401k and great benefits. The venture capitalists (v/c) that took us over incentivized mgmt by threatening to lose their pensions if they didn’t fire all the hourly employees.

One by one my colleagues disappeared for the oddest reasons. I was let go for going to the bathroom during a meeting, rehired because that was illegal and then let go again for my pottie break because the v/c knew the fine they’d pay was less than paying my benefits as an employee. I was a lucky one who reported them to the labor department who actually told me to hire an attorney to recoup my lost wages & benefits.

Unfortunately now those types of jobs in CA are only available when a union is watching out for you. Sorry to go off topic. I guess I miss holiday. You don’t know how great it is until you’ve had it and it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/I]

· Registered
2007 Escalade ESV AWD
78 Posts
Ah yes, Europe. Where everyone takes a vacation (holiday) and most businesses do the same. There’s a general level of balance and appreciation for life in general when the entire family can spend time together for weeks at a time.

I discovered that phenomenon while working at GE here in Calif. GE was an international Co until a few greedy Mr. Burns types broke them up and sold them off into pieces. Essentially we worked 9 months out of the year, had a pension, a 401k and great benefits. The venture capitalists (v/c) that took us over incentivized mgmt by threatening to lose their pensions if they didn’t fire all the hourly employees.

One by one my colleagues disappeared for the oddest reasons. I was let go for going to the bathroom during a meeting, rehired because that was illegal and then let go again for my pottie break because the v/c knew the fine they’d pay was less than paying my benefits as an employee. I was a lucky one who reported them to the labor department who actually told me to hire an attorney to recoup my lost wages & benefits.

Unfortunately now those types of jobs in CA are only available when a union is watching out for you. Sorry to go off topic. I guess I miss holiday. You don’t know how great it is until you’ve had it and it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/I]
Life does have a way of throwing curve balls at you. If I hadn't told myself a while back that I thrive off of adversity I'd probably be dead by now...

· 2009 Escalade
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if it’s trending nationwide but we just got notice our natural gas bills were going up 2x normal due to unusual market demand and availability. Our electric rate has doubled in past 7 years. If we weren’t able to split our utilities between gas & electric we’d be paying the highest rate on electric in the nation.

Just told my girls that an electric bill in CA now is the same as a car payment in the 90’s or 00’s. We got 90-95% efficiency natural gas home & h2o tankless heater in 09. Bills were $30-$50 a Mo average back then. Now we’re pushing $150-$200 Mo on same ultra efficient equipment. Even with a 7.2 kw PPA (free) solar system for $171 a mo we’ve had a month we’ve months where we had to pay an extra $400 to buy additional power for the grid. That’s with 100% LED & energy star appliances. That means the neighbors who don’t have solar & use same Amt of electricity as us paid about $7-$8h that month.

Our plan to live close to the beach paid off because we still have no home a/c. 98% of the time it’s cool. The only way out of the trap is to purchase more solar panels and store power in batteries. Essentially we’d never tap into the grid during peak or all power used is solar.

You pretty much have to be actuary to calculate value prior to achieving it in order survive here in CA.

On that point, back on topic. Owning a full size 400hp AWD ultra luxury vehicle that fills up for $70 vs $120 on e85, no AFM, insanely cheap registration and Ins with the longevity of a diesel power train is something most in CA haven’t realized as a future classic.

· Registered
Escalade Hybrid 2009
204 Posts
Yeah, we don't need A/C much, heating we do need (mild winter so around 32°F now, but goes down to 14 often). So even with air-water-pump our heating with electricity is easily 300€ ($330 usd or so) per month (1500 sq ft, semi-detached). Gas is around 1.8€/litre so little under $7.5 per gallon :)

But I live in Estonia, I'm from Finland and checking from the map, I do understand why I currently need to pay a little more than I used to :)

· Registered
2007 Escalade
190 Posts
Prices are absurd here in the UK. Natural gas and electricity for our house (which isn't exactly large) is currently coming to around $600 per month, and that's with the house only heated in the mornings and evenings, to around 62 degrees.

· Registered
It's OK I'm a Limo driver
1,787 Posts
Other than that big arctic blast back in December we have had a very mild but very wet winter. My average power bill is around $300 using a heat pump. No gas or solar and no complaints. During the summertime it's about $500.

Filling up the Caddy is usually $65-$70 but it's not a daily driver either. Filling up the Mini is $35-$40 and that will last me a week and a half on average.

I still see a lot of the 07-14 Escalades on the road.

· 2009 Escalade
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the pulse on weather / utility trends. I feel better now or at least not alone. Motto of the month: I seat heaters!

Poof, all the NNBS Escalade are gone in So Orange County. There’s more Convertible Beetles and, in almost new condition. The local coffee shop has three in the lot all day. SBUX employee requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· 2009 Escalade
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jargon, sorry. Caddy owners don’t see it too often. It’s the thing on the Tahoe, Yukon, Burb forums

Late 2000-2006 (SUV) or NBS
New Body Style.
2007-2014 (SUV) or NNBS
New, New Body Style.

I wonder why they didn’t make the 2015-2020 the NNNBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts