Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM working on a 57 sedan deville and I cant seem to get any spark no matter what I do. This is the first car Ive owned that isnt fuel injected and this points stuff is driving me crazy.
I also have power to both sides of the coil. That shouldn't be should it?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
First check-out this site:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm
It will help you understand the system better than I could "explain" it to you (it's got pictures and animation!).
The problem is most likely a bad condensor or the points are not opening(or closing). If you rotate the engine to get the points rubbing block on the top of the distributor cam lobe, you can set the gap to the "proper" setting. Even if you don't get the gap "perfect", the engine will usually start as long as the points open and close. That will at least let you know that the engine will run. Setting points takes a little practice to get it right so take your time. Just remember: set point gap first, then set timing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The points are what fires the coil.The points open and close for each cylinder.The coil builds up a charge inbetween fires and releases it through the coil wire in to the distributor cap,through the rotor and back out the cap to the induvidual wire to the plug.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
That stuff tastes good on steak, and is also good for staining wood.......

mmmmm, varnish.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts