Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me out? Have a 1982 368 engine four ballel carb.1 How do you reset the check engine light? 2. Does anyone know where the nut is to loseing the distributor so i can time the engine?

Thanks Graveyardman

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,510 Posts
Someone must have done some part swapping... I was lead to believe that only limo's had 368's in 82 to 84... and I though that they were fuel injected..So what I would guess is that someone has put a 1980 carb and distrubtor on...so if they did do this, and the computer was left alone...the check engine light will stay on...so my guess is if it does have a carb, that the light means nothing... take out the bulb.... Is it a limo?
There is a 1/2" nut at the base of the distrubtor to loosen to adjust it..down under the cap...I always use a 1/4" drive 1/2" socket, then a swivel, then a 6" extention and rachet... with that you should get right on it ...

·
Registered
1993 Sedan DeVille, 1978 Coupe DeVille (Project Car)
54 Posts
Actually all Commercial Chassis were carbureated, not fuel injected until 1984. This means incomplete vehicles that Cadillac sold to be used for Hearses, Flower Cars, etc. Yes, Limos had the 4-6-8 fuel injected version of the 368 motor. So you have the correct setup for your vehicle, you probably have the Computer controlled carb. This system has a solenoid on the carb that changes mixture based on the exhaust gas. There is a oxygen sensor that retieves these signals and there is also a throttle position sensor that tells the ECM throttle input. I would reccomend that you retrieve the codes from the Hearse. I believe you have to short Pins A & B of the ALDL connector under your dash board. Then the computer will begin to flash out the codes by flashing of the check engine light. It will first flash out 12(? I think that is the #) then will pause and begin to flash out the trouble codes. Get the codes and look them up here on the forum.

I hope this helps,
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts