Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car suddenly started ideling very rough, very very rough accelerations and loss of power. Went to autozone and got the attached diagnostic. Im thinking my car is due for a tune up. Could any of you guys help me out with how to do a tune up and what I would need to buy? Saw a couple vids on YouTube but they weren't very thorough. Do you think it could be anything else causing these problems? Do you think this will stop the rough idle and acceleration? Will provide step by step pics and details if I am lucky enough to only have to do a tune up. image.jpg

·
Registered
2007 CTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also is there anything else I should consider replacing while Ive got the car taken apart? Anything else I should consider doig or checking before I dive right into the tune up?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
cylinder 3 should be the middle cylinder, on the passenger side of the car, you could try switching out the coil pack with another cylinder to see if the misfiring changes. You most likely will need to remove the intake manifold to remove the coil. Its not a very hard task but at first it could be sort of overwhelming, This was my first car, and I have learned much thanks to this helpful community :)
Hope you get your car back and running back to normal soon.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I really only need to buy spark plugs to to this tune up? Just remove the old ones and replace them with new ones and I'm good to go?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
21 Posts
No, you have to do the above in post #3- change the coil pack to another cylinder. if the trouble code goes to that cylinder, then you need
a new coil.
You might want to pick up a OBD II code reader - way less than $100 - especially online (ebay/Amazon, etc.)... if you can't DIY the repair,
maybe take it to a trusted garage. the "Dealer" will probably soak you moneywise!!!

·
Registered
2007 CTS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I was unable to check the thread before replacing the spark plugs. Seemed to have done everything okay however the CEL light is still on and flashing while driving, the car is still idling and accelerating rough, howver it is not as bad as it was before. I did not get a chance to examine or test the coil pack, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to replace and test the coil pack? I also cracked some sort of tubing, does anyone know what this is called so I can go replace it? It is the part with the temporary duct tape around it.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,069 Posts
The CEL flashing means you are doing severe damage to something by continuing to run the car. Continual misfires burn up the CAT convertors to the tune of big bucks.

·
Registered
629 Posts
cq23 said:
Please help :(
replace the coil pack on cylinder 3 and buy some some universal vacuum lines from the auto parts store to replace that duct tape job. It's like 1.5' of I believe 3/8" line from your purge solenoid to that fitting behind the throttle body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts