Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville base
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can offer some advice;
A few months ago I noticed hard shifting in the morning when cold. I checked the tranny fluid and it was very low. I properly filled it. It took about 2 months to need another quart. It was a little low at that point just below the "fill hot" line. When I add the quart I notice larger puddles under the car. It seems like the leak is worse when full but very slow when only a quart low. Any ideas what this is? Makes me think the leak is higher up since it leaks more when topped off. Car is a daily beater with 135K on it. Not sure its worth sinking a fortune into.
thank you

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
If it's leaving a puddle on the driver side I would assume it's coming from the driver side output shaft seal. What happens is that the bushing supporting the 3rd clutch housing wears out and leave the housing and the output shaft "hanging", damaging the seal. You can visually inspect this by looking at the area with the wheel turned to left and car moving slightly back and forth. It would drip fluid from the seal. Or you can lift the car and try to wiggle the inner CV shaft tripod to see if there's an excessive movement. If that's it, there is an axle stabilizer seal that would replace the job of the 3rd clutch bushing + output shaft seal.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
...... or maybe the transmission vent tube has come unclipped from the throttle cable bracket and fallen down below the transmission case. It's a rubber tube with a metal wiggle cap.

This is from my STS but the vent tubes are the same.

Butt plug & air box 2 notes.JPG

·
Registered
98 Concours, 2004 Deville DTS
185 Posts
If it is leaking from the drivers side output shaft like suggested above here is a link to the repair kit Teckpak / Fitzall transmission parts and tools . I had this problem on my 04 DTS and replaced it with the modified seal/bearing along with the complete axle and installation tool (highly recommenced) . I only have about 6000 miles on it but so far no issues and no more leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts