Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
04 ESV PLATINUM
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i wanted to know if anyone has installed a trailerbrake control box in their truck If so i need some advice My subburban had the blue and orange wires taped up in a harness and a connection in the fuse box Is my caddy the same Thankyou for any help

·
Registered
Cadillac
132 Posts
I had one installed as I have a trailer, I had extra wire added and installed the box in the center console. Sorry can't tell you what wires as I did not hang around. Works great though

·
Registered
2005 Escalade
159 Posts
I added a Hoppy brake controller to my '05. Cadillac doesn't supply the harness or pigtail that comes with the other GM products. The list price from Caddy will scare you. I went to an auto supply store and bought a harness for the same year Tahoe/Pickup and it fit. You have to pull the cover off the junction box that is located between the parking brake and the brake pedal. The harness only fits one of the openings. I don't remember if I had to add any fuses to the fuse box. The hardest part was finding a good way to mount the controller. I used plastic wire ties to secure it to the air duct that runs just under the dash. My controller is the kind that has a box and a detachable hand held display/controller that I plug in when I'm towing and detach when I'm not towing.

You might go to a RV or trailer dealer and have them quote the installation. Most will do it fairly reasonable.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
04 ESV PLATINUM
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the help I went to autozone and bought the harness and it pluged right in to the relay box you were talking about I mounted my brake controller under the steering collum there was two holes allready in the framing for the dash panel I just used some speed clips Worked out great Thanks

·
Registered
03 Escalade
29 Posts
So simply hook up the harness and it's that simple? damn i was thinking about getting the wires all around the truck, far more easy this way. What auto suplly store carries them?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV AWD
16 Posts
Watch a few youtube videos. My old 02 suburban installed as yours should, I bought the relay box plug and pigtail (one piece) from w-mart, it was cheap. If you don't know how to solder, have someone who does do the connections for you. DO NOT use "butt-splices" there are many possible ways they can/will fail. Think about the need to make an emergency stop and the trailer brakes no longer function! My Escalade ESV is an '07 and the procedure is completely different, except for mounting the control head. I know, the OP has solved his problem long ago but this may help a member who needs this information '16 and forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts