Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am planing to install 2000 seville's nav into the Eldorado and I need to know if it would fit correctly in the dashboard.

I do also need someone to share me the firmware because if I buy the unit I would need to unlock it, and I don't have the chance to go to a GM dealership, simply because they all have closed in Europe.

Thank you very much guys ;)

Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Odometer
This is the one I would like to install because I think it looks better overall unlike the newer one with the larger screen that looks somewhat aftermarket with that adaptation bezle

·
Registered
1997 ETC
5,189 Posts
What....no, it cannot be done, unless you want to re-wire the entire car.....if the Eldorado has the Bose system, you'll need to rip it completely out....

Just get a double din and install a Metra GMOS-06, and be done with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What....no, it cannot be done, unless you want to re-wire the entire car.....if the Eldorado has the Bose system, you'll need to rip it completely out....

Just get a double din and install a Metra GMOS-06, and be done with it.
But whats the problem with the bose system? Really I don't know why its not posible and apart from that there's too few information about this audio systems.

In the nav it says bose so Bose + Bose = ok no?

Regards.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
21,259 Posts
But whats the problem with the bose system? Really I don't know why its not posible and apart from that there's too few information about this audio systems.

Regards.
===========================
it will NEVER work -

the main issue is the THEFTLOC system built into the Seville radio -
basically -
the very first time the radio got turned on - it recorded the VIN number of the Seville -
then - each time the radio was turned on it checked the recorded VIN with the current VIN -
if they matched - the radio played -
if the VIN's did NOT match - the radio got LOCKED - and the only thing that worked was the clock -

and here lies the problem -
your '97 Eldo does not have the ability to send a VIN number to the 2000 Seville radio -
meaning - the radio will never get a VIN response - and will never play -

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,552 Posts
No, the Bose system will never work in your car.

Also, there are no NAV upgrades or discs after ??? 2006 or so ???

Better to install a Garmin - free maps for life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
it will NEVER work -

basically -
the very first time the radio got turned on - it recorded the VIN number of the Seville -
then - each time the radio was turned on it checked the recorded VIN with the current VIN -
if the VIN's did NOT match - the radio got LOCKED - and the only thing that worked was the clock -

your '97 Eldo does not have the ability to send a VIN number to the 2000 Seville radio -
So they use different bus systems I guess

I got disappointed with this cuz I was wishing to install it, not for the navigation function itself, if not for pleasure of knowing the car has every single option you could order, and that nav looks way better than the standard radio.

it will NEVER work -

basically -

OK but what If i take the BCM from the seville with the same vin?

Can someone share me the wiring diagram of the radio connector?

·
21,259 Posts
OK but what If i take the BCM from the seville with the same vin?

Can someone share me the wiring diagram of the radio connector?
OK - I could spend an hour LISTING all the obvious obstacles
and explaining WHY it simply can not be done -
BUT - that would be a waist of an hour of my time -

let me put it this way -
forget it - and move on to the next project -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - I could spend an hour LISTING all the obvious obstacles
and explaining WHY it simply can not be done -
BUT - that would be a waist of an hour of my time -

let me put it this way -
forget it - and move on to the next project -
I don't wanna be anoying but when I want something I 'm a bit stubborn. I'm a Chrysler guy and I've installed navs and got them to work thanks to BCMs and PCMs, but I guess they're not as complex as GM.

I've read that without the radio the headlights don't work or things like that. Can you resume to me what importance has the radio for the car and why is not posible?

I've had headaches with electronic modifications before and I mended them, having the service manuals etc, but I am just starting with GM and this Caddy so I have to learn.

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,552 Posts
The original head unit is part and parcel of the entire car's TheftLock, security, content theft, and serial data bus systems. Not only talks with the BCM but with other modules, including the PCM. The original head unit is flashed with the original car's VIN and it uses that to verify everything from correct ownership and key use to engine start. A compatible GM head unit would need to be flashed by a GM dealership using their database. An aftermarket sound system needs a series of harnesses and jumpers to retain the original head unit in the trunk to keep all the system functions - it's NOT "all BCM" by any stretch of the imagination.

You might want to communicate with the experts on this stuff at Crutchfield in Blacksburg, VA, USA.

Subscribe your car to a multi-year deal for the online GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals at www.alldatadiy.com - you'll need it - a lot.

·
21,259 Posts
I don't wanna be anoying but when I want something I 'm a bit stubborn. I'm a Chrysler guy and I've installed navs and got them to work thanks to BCMs and PCMs, but I guess they're not as complex as GM.

I've read that without the radio the headlights don't work or things like that. Can you resume to me what importance has the radio for the car and why is not posible?

I've had headaches with electronic modifications before and I mended them, having the service manuals etc, but I am just starting with GM and this Caddy so I have to learn.
=============================
I don't wanna be anoying but when I want something I 'm a bit stubborn.
we're PAST that - what comes after ANNOYING and STUBBORN?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The original head unit is part and parcel of the entire car's TheftLock, security, content theft, and serial data bus systems. Not only talks with the BCM but with other modules, including the PCM. The original head unit is flashed with the original car's VIN and it uses that to verify everything from correct ownership and key use to engine start. A compatible GM head unit would need to be flashed by a GM dealership using their database. An aftermarket sound system needs a series of harnesses and jumpers to retain the original head unit in the trunk to keep all the system functions - it's NOT "all BCM" by any stretch of the imagination.

You might want to communicate with the experts on this stuff at Crutchfield in Blacksburg, VA, USA.

Subscribe your car to a multi-year deal for the online GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals at www.alldatadiy.com - you'll need it - a lot.
Wow GM went a bit crazy with this, like there was no need to mess everything like that. In my opinion that work should be for the PCM not the radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! Does this mean the newer one with the larger screen out of a Seville, won't work in another Seville?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,189 Posts

True, you don't know why, but, it's not reasonably possible.

Regards.
Go aftermarket, if you can. Plus, a 2000 Nav is almost useless, thes days.

·
21,259 Posts
Wow! Does this mean the newer one with the larger screen out of a Seville, won't work in another Seville?
==========================
from 1998 through 2001 the Seville radios are interchangeable -
BOSE to BOSE - and non-BOSE to non-BOSE -
HOWEVER -
the THEFTLOC will kick in and it REQUIRES a TECH2 scan tool to clear the original VIN -

the electronics were changed starting with the 2002 model year -
meaning pre 2002 radios WILL NOT WORK -

LASTLY -
installing a NAV system into a car that did not come with NAV can be done -
BUT - it is a LOT of work with VERY LITTLE reward -
the NEWEST maps available are from 2008 - and will NEVER be updated -

1 - 17 of 17 Posts