Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Night the old pain, Service Engine light came on...I pulled code & got Current PCM-0113, Which I looked up & is: Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage, But I don't know what that means(as to, what needs to be done to fix)..It did come on shortly after a car wash, I did clear once & it came back on the very next car start.....And I'm still having trouble with tight steering (you can see my previous post on that here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/165052-very-tight-steering-please-help.html#post1819145 ..But in addition to that post I've noticed it does pull more to the right, & on Cadillac's when working normal, you know how when you make a turn the wheel smoothly pulls back to center for you...well on my car the littlest turn of the wheel in either direction, & the wheel will pull quite hard to bring back to center.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,494 Posts
On an '02 the IAT sensor (thermistor) is a tiny black bead in the edge of the MAF bore. Look carefully at the pictures, easier to see in the JET MAF (don't bother: waste of money.) If the IAT is really faulty, it's MAF time. www.rockauto.com or Luke in Parts at Lindsay Cadillac -------> over there

You'll have to remove the intake resonator to get to the MAF and connector. FWIW that's a 2" rubber pipe cap stuck in the resonator hole - $2.25 with clamp at a hardware store. (The car WILL NOT run with that hole open) Makes things cleaner and easier to check the transmission fluid. (Dry sump - there will be NO fluid on the stick with the engine off !!! Don't even try to check the level until the car is hot, idling in P)

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the name of the part I need is called the MAF? from pics it looks alot like the Plenum I had replaced about 6 months back. I'm so appreciative of the help.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
No, the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is ahead of the TB. The plenum is behind it. Earlier engines had a separate IAT sensors. Later ones (2000+ I think) have it incorporated into the MAF sensor.

·
Administrator
69,494 Posts
Look at Post #2 again. That's your MAF with the IAT sensor incorporated. It's the thingy with the connector and white barcode sticker, near the air filter box. The below pic is the "plenum" which you say was replaced recently. In the line drawing, #2 is the hose clamp for the intake coupler plenum.

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok gotcha thanks so when I go to part store I ask for a IAT sensor? just want to be sure

·
Administrator
69,494 Posts
In the '00 - '04 model run, the IAT is an integral part of the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) which is located in the intake duct just downstream of the air filter bo. The IAT is not a replaceable part: You have to replace the entire MAF.

A parts store may have one, a GM dealer will ($250), NAPA might have one. Go to www.rockauto.com and get to your car, either fuel/air or emissions, and look at MAF sensors. Click on the little picture or (!) icon to see what you need. You could either get a new DELPHI unit or one of the less expensive ($95) rebuilt units.

BE careful with the sensor - don't touch the tiny heated resistors welded across the bridges and don't fool with that flow honeycomb: it assures a steady airstream for flow measurement.

Go back and look at the pictures I posted.

EDIT..... I just looked at RockAuto - emissions - The DELPHI (OEM) MAF is on sale for $99, and they have 15 left. That's a 50% discount from the original $200 RockAuto price. Jump on it. It won't hurt to drive the car for a week with the IAT code.........

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EDIT..... I just looked at RockAuto - emissions - The DELPHI (OEM) MAF is on sale for $99, and they have 15 left. That's a 50% discount from the original $200 RockAuto price. Jump on it. It won't hurt to drive the car for a week with the IAT code.........
Thanks so much I will defiantly do that right now

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Since the code came on after a car wash, before you spend money on a new MAF pull the connector off the IAT (disconnect it) and see if you have any signs of water inside the connector. Get some dielectric grease and pack the connector with it an put it back together. See if the code will go away. Thermisters don't just die unless someone is fooling around with them, or their wires.

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't take apart or buy Dielectric grease, but today when I started the car 2 days after car wash the ck engine light didn't come on.

·
Registered
02 Seville SLS
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't take apart or buy Dielectric grease, but today when I started the car 2 days after car wash the ck engine light didn't come on.
Now for days it's been coming on & going off, 1 day it'll be on then later in the day it'll be off...any clue why that is?

·
Administrator
69,494 Posts
If you're still getting the same fault code for the IAT, have you pulled the MAF connector and at least dried it out with compressed air (computer air.......)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts