Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car leaks oil like crazy! (1986 fleetwood brougham d elegance 307 engine)When i park it for the night and come back theres this big puddle of oil..someone told me if it leaks like that while parked its your oil pan. I dont wanna put that cheap wal mart leak stopper liquid in it so I need to replace the gaskets. Is oil pan gaskets a repair any handy person can fix? Some people say you need to remove the engine, others say you just have to get under it. I need to fix this pronto pls help:worship:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Get to a car wash and spray it down good to clean all the oil and grime off and then start to watch it and see where it is coming from. You might need ramps to drive the car on at the car wash.

My 85 Cutlass 307 was so oil tight the oil pan was rusting! I have seen oil pans on some engines rust through. It never rusted through, but was a DRY engine under the hood.

It is a doable job, but you do need to remove the motor mount bolts and lift the engine as high as possible to make clearance to remove the pan. I have swapped a crankshaft with the engine in the car (455 Pontiac in a 80 T/A), the job sucked. It was very hard to get the engine up that high without removing the distriibutor or risking breaking it. The D body might be easier.

Common oil leaks are valve covers (307 Olds didn't have valve cover gaskets, and often people put them in and leaks are a common occurance because of it), front and rear seals are next, as the rear is a rope seal that, if improperly installed, will leak. If properly installed, is one of the best seals you can get. Use the 1962 Pontiac FSM for proper installation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts