Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My caddy(1986 fleetwood brougham d elegance 307) was having a squeaky brake problem in the front...so i changed the brakes to the most expensive ones napa had(ceramix brand) now my rear brakes(drums) sound terrible every time i even bairly touch the brakes! It sounds like I'm sharpening a sword or axe on one of those...round things that spin and sharpen...things...:confused: . Anywho! Does anyone knowwhy this is happening or how i can fix it? I need help from the cadillac gods:worship:

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Time to pull the drums off and check for broken hardware or shoes down to nothing. S.O.P. is to inspect rear brakes whenever doing any brake work. I would not drive it until it gets looked at.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Had "the best" pads put on the front of our '93...I'm pretty sure ceramics...and have been listening to almost indicator on rotor like squealing ever since.

Haven't worn down much at all in 2 years, but good god does the noise get on my nerves at times...:annoyed:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
caddycruiser said:
Had "the best" pads put on the front of our '93...I'm pretty sure ceramics...and have been listening to almost indicator on rotor like squealing ever since.

Haven't worn down much at all in 2 years, but good god does the noise get on my nerves at times...:annoyed:
Yeah caddy has god like stopping power but it sounds like...a burgundy bucket cadillac with crap brakes and nice rims....bah the way people look at me now!:mad:

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Noisy brakes usually is caused by improper re surfacing of the rotor, depending on the type of pad used, there is a surfacing technique for that pad. the smoother the rotor surface the more prone to noise especially on light application. Drum brake noise is usually dust inside the drum or again the surface of the drum. I would seek out a brake specialty shop to re surface the rotors. Also any looseness of the pad within the caliper can cause noise. Make sure the shims behind the pads are there. I put black silicone on the pad backside when I install them so they will not move around. The more metallic the pad compostion, the more prone to noise. I have always used Delco brand pads on a GM car, Ford brand pads on a Ford product. Hope this helps. Also make sure the slide pins on the calipers are clean and lubed so the caliper moves in/out smoothly.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
bob'scaddy said:
hey carnut. What would you use to lube the caliper slide pins. WD40, White litheum, etc.

Bob'scaddy
Don't use any sort of spray lube, too thin. I would use a light application of high temp wheel bearing grease.
Just a dab 'll do ya! Spread it thinly and evenly on the pin.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
By the way, the new pads should not squeal even if they are ceramic. If the rotors are freshly turned and either shims or adhesive was use on the pads they should break in nice and smooth and quiet. If the rotors were not turned or were glassy smooth you can expect them to squeal. If the pads are making noise I would pull them off and scuff them lightly to allow them to break in with the rotors.

I don't use the ceramic pads because I don't run extended speeds over 85 mph and I use the engine and tranny to keep speed down on long, steep inclines. They have a tendency to wear the rotors out.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
There is a silicone clear grease made just for doing this. It wont melt with the heat generated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts