Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'90 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 Cadillac Deville is displaying code F47, Low Refrigerant Charge. The a/c has never worked since I bought the car in Feb., but i would like for it to work. It has a r12 sticker on the a/c, but I was told it looked like it was converted. I have looked everywere to find a pic of what conversion would look like, but could find nothing. I hope someone can help. I added Pics of the a/c hope it will help:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
The 1st and last pictures look like R134a service ports (without the caps). The caps are an integral part of sealing the system and freon can leak out without them. That may be your problem. I'd have the system vacuumed down and recharged. The get some caps on those ports.

·
Registered
2009 CTS AWD DI 2014 AWD CTS DI
639 Posts
If a car has been converted to R134 are the service ports changed? Just how does one tell if their system has been converted from R12? My 02 Caddy, of course, is not a question but i also have a 96 grand Cherokee and have wondered whether it had been converted??

·
Registered
'90 Cadillac Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say have the system vacuumed down, what does that mean? I am sorry I know a little about cars and I mean a little, but nothing about a/c

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
to have the system vaccumed means to remove all the left over freon and suck the air out of the system. Air causes mositure and that is bad for the A/C. So what you need to do is check to see if you have any freon which I think you will not if your system is not working. If you have freon that means you are just low and need to recharge then check for leaks after. Once you check your system I would replace any seal you can at this point and put your system back together then have the system vaccumed out. Basically what they do is hook a vaccum to your system and suck the air out. Then they check to see if the system is leaking. If your ok there then you can recharge again and check for leaks after.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
If a car has been converted to R134 are the service ports changed? Just how does one tell if their system has been converted from R12?
Yes, the ports are changed. R12 ports are schreader valves, like a tire valve. R134a ports are quick disconnects, like an air compressor.

Water boils at 212 degrees at sea level pressure. Draw a strong enough vacuum and it will boil at 60 degrees. The water vapor is then drawn out of the system leaving it dry. Moisture in the system will freeze and plug the lines causing inefficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts