Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help! I do not work on cars, have a 97 Seville and had the alternator changed in it, they had to release to ac to get to it. I took it in and had the ac recharged and they said it took the charge, however, the compressor wont kick on and it still says ac compressor off and low refrig. , I read on here to look at your codes and reset them. I, somehow managed to reset them all but two...and I waited and restarted the car but the same thing is happening. Is there anything else I can try before taking it in to a pro?

Thanks!
Tina

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
Tina,
They cannot recharge the A/C system unless they clear the codes. When the system is low on refrigerant, it disables the compressor which needs to be operating when being recharged. I'd take it back. I don't think they knew what they were doing.

Which 2 codes did not reset? Are they current or history?

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Tina, I also have a 97 Seville and changed the alternator myself. Not an easy job, but I didn't have to touch the A/C compressor to do it. Your mechanic should not have needed to either. Was the mechanic in a dealership or an independent?

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The codes were b1552 history and b1348 showed current, then history. I had my fiance change the alternator and that was the best he could do. Goodyear did the ac recharge, so I will call them. They told me it took charge and then charged me 125 bucks....

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error Probably from pulling battery power.

B1348 - Very Low A/C Refrigerant Pressure Self explanatory. Let them see the code so they don't dismiss you as a "dumb broad". Then clear the codes yourself, because they probably have no idea how. Then tell them NOT to turn the A/C on until everything is hooked up and ready to charge or it will just set the DTC again and disable the compressor.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so here is what happened....I was reading another posting from earlier about a guy that used a paperclip to bypass his sensor...had someone try that. First I cleared the codes, and then the paper clip thing, started the car and the compressor kicked on and the air was really cold! Could it be that I need a new sensor? If so, will it hurt to run with the paper clip until the part comes in or can I hurt something?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts