Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Hello guys, i recently purchased a 2011 CTS Coupe, 3.6 Di with 40k miles, it has the CTS V 19" Rims and the ride feels very hard!, i took it to the shop and i was told all struts and shocks were busted!, because they lowered the car by replacing springs and leaving same struts and shocks, they also added a small spacer in the rear, car looks good, but i would like to make the ride as softt as possible, what do you guys recommend? I asked for the oem parts they are very expensive to get all Struts and Shocks and Springs from AC Delco, is there another brand i can purchase? I also plan to get bigger sidewall tires to make it more soft. Thanks any advice helps, i dont want to spend so much, i have the Performance pckg, i believe its F3 Suspension, i dont plan on racing, i want the Smoothest ride i can possibly get, thanks

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
Very, very expensive fix.
Dump the car and go find a better one.
Did I mention it's expensive to correct?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
So we are to believe that lowering a car with springs and doing nothing else will trash the car? Something smells rotten in Denmark......

If this is true, I would like to get the nod. I am about to lower my car with an Eibach Pro kit. Someone shout quickly if this is a mistake......

Shakey

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,149 Posts
Check out prices for OEM on www.gmpartsdirect.com or www.rockauto.com. See for yourself. Otherwise, I agree, dump it and run. You have been taken.

Shakey, nothing wrong with lowering your car. There are some differences between springs. From what I have read, you should be okay as long as you merely follow directions. Some folks have cut off the lowering springs to make their cars ride lower than the "standard" (read: Eibach) lowering springs offer. The OP has been screwed, I believe.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe
55 Posts
Shakeydeal said:
So we are to believe that lowering a car with springs and doing nothing else will trash the car? Something smells rotten in Denmark...... If this is true, I would like to get the nod. I am about to lower my car with an Eibach Pro kit. Someone shout quickly if this is a mistake...... Shakey
Shakester,

Depends on what you consider mistake. I've been dissuaded by people I trust but only because they have said it absolutely shortens the life of the oem struts...no gray area here. Shortening life is somewhat subjective but I've heard that lowering (eibach pro etc) a car with 25k miles would very possibly have some issues between 50/60K miles versus a longer lifespan of left untouched. This of course isn't guaranteed based on driving habits etc. So depending on how many miles you put this could mean a year or five. Additionally though the cars look cooler the ride quality suffers moderate to significantly. Some people may claim this is not true but real world it does .

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Hello guys, i recently purchased a 2011 CTS Coupe, 3.6 Di with 40k miles, it has the CTS V 19" Rims and the ride feels very hard!, i took it to the shop and i was told all struts and shocks were busted!, because they lowered the car by replacing springs and leaving same struts and shocks, they also added a small spacer in the rear, car looks good, but i would like to make the ride as softt as possible, what do you guys recommend? I asked for the oem parts they are very expensive to get all Struts and Shocks and Springs from AC Delco, is there another brand i can purchase? I also plan to get bigger sidewall tires to make it more soft. Thanks any advice helps, i dont want to spend so much, i have the Performance pckg, i believe its F3 Suspension, i dont plan on racing, i want the Smoothest ride i can possibly get, thanks
Do you feel your struts and shocks busted? I dont think so... You can buy oem springs for $200-300 or you can replace your 19" with 18" and find some comfort (not sport) tires like Continental contipremiumcontact.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
604 Posts
Have to lol if "busted" was their technical analysis of the condition of the stock shocks/struts.

Springs that lower the ride height of the car typically have higher compression rates to prevent bottoming out. So the suspension travel is reduced. But shocks/struts are tuned to dampen a specific amount of travel. So what you get when you mix high compression rate springs with low dampening shocks/struts is the harsh suspension feeling you describe. You can fix it by going back to OEM height/rate springs or replacing the shocks/struts with higher dampening. It doesn't necessarily mean that your shocks/struts are "busted".

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
I asked for the oem parts they are very expensive to get all Struts and Shocks and Springs from AC Delco, is there another brand i can purchase?
How much were you quoted for the parts, and can you get them to give you a hard copy of the quote (with all of the part numbers)?

From what I've read here, you can install FE2 dampers in place of your FE3 dampers; the FE2 are a bit softer damping than the FE3, which sounds like something you would like. Looks like pricing is $90-100 per corner for the struts/shocks. Front should be #19209332, which is the same as ACDelco 540549 ($92.89 on rockauto.com, plus you can find a 5% discount code online that will take that down to $88.24). Rears I think would be #20951692, same as ACDelco 540553 (not available on rockauto.com, but parts.nalleygmc.com has them for $99.69).

Springs I'm not sure on - for both front and rear parts.nalleygmc.com lists 3 different part numbers, and I don't know what the differences are. Fronts are 25807452, 25807453 (both of which are $68.63 each), or 15264551 (which is $105 each :confused:). Rears are 15219458, 157593347, or 25798541, and they're all $45-47 each. Surely your car isn't the only one with lowering springs on it, so maybe you can find a set of take-off springs cheaper than buying new ones. Post in the Classifieds here, check ebay, craigslist, car-part.com, whatever.

I also plan to get bigger sidewall tires to make it more soft.
You really shouldn't put larger sidewall tires on your current wheels. What make/model/size tires are on the wheels now?

You might be able to arrange a trade with someone - they get the CTS-V wheels and tires and you get some factory 18" wheels and tires. If the CTS-V wheels are OEM, they're all marked with the part number and size on the inside, so you'd need to pull them off and verify what exactly you've got.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
AAIIIC said:
How much were you quoted for the parts, and can you get them to give you a hard copy of the quote (with all of the part numbers)?
From what I've read here, you can install FE2 dampers in place of your FE3 dampers; the FE2 are a bit softer damping than the FE3, which sounds like something you would like. Looks like pricing is $90-100 per corner for the struts/shocks. Front should be #19209332, which is the same as ACDelco 540549 ($92.89 on rockauto.com, plus you can find a 5% discount code online that will take that down to $88.24). Rears I think would be #20951692, same as ACDelco 540553 (not available on rockauto.com, but parts.nalleygmc.com has them for $99.69).
Springs I'm not sure on - for both front and rear parts.nalleygmc.com lists 3 different part numbers, and I don't know what the differences are. Fronts are 25807452, 25807453 (both of which are $68.63 each), or 15264551 (which is $105 each :confused:). Rears are 15219458, 157593347, or 25798541, and they're all $45-47 each. Surely your car isn't the only one with lowering springs on it, so maybe you can find a set of take-off springs cheaper than buying new ones. Post in the Classifieds here, check ebay, craigslist, car-part.com, whatever.
You really shouldn't put larger sidewall tires on your current wheels. What make/model/size tires are on the wheels now?
You might be able to arrange a trade with someone - they get the CTS-V wheels and tires and you get some factory 18" wheels and tires. If the CTS-V wheels are OEM, they're all marked with the part number and size on the inside, so you'd need to pull them off and verify what exactly you've got.
YOU ARE AWSOME! Thanks a lot!!, very descriptive thanks for your time!

I plan on just replacing the Springs for now, it should make a big difference correct?? And i asked GM, apparently CTS coupe and Sedan use same Springs, dont matter what suspension it comes with, would it be a good idea to buy some used? I saw some on ebay for 72 a pair, used from a 2008 cts sedan, but its he same part number as the 11 coupe.

Also what are Dampers? You said to replace them with FE2 Suspension, im interested if i can get a bit softer ride can you tell me what it is and how hard is it to install or how much do mechanics charge? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
A damper is a shock or strut. If all the shocks and struts are "busted" and need to replaced, then replacing them with FE2 parts instead of FE3 parts will give you a bit softer, less sporty ride.

If the stock shocks/struts are truly blown (which I'm assuming is what they said), then replacing only the springs is probably a bad idea, for two reasons. First, with bad dampers, even with correct springs the ride is almost certainly still going to be crappy. And second, if the ride is still poor and you decide to replace the struts/shocks, you'll end up paying to do the same work over again up front (since the springs and struts are mounted together). I don't see any problem buying used springs.

I don't know what a shop would charge to swap everything out. I don't think it's terribly difficult to do the work myself (I installed KW coil-overs on my car), but obviously everyone has different levels of mechanic skills, and I don't know what you're comfortable doing or what access you have to tools.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AAIIIC said:
A damper is a shock or strut. If all the shocks and struts are "busted" and need to replaced, then replacing them with FE2 parts instead of FE3 parts will give you a bit softer, less sporty ride. If the stock shocks/struts are truly blown (which I'm assuming is what they said), then replacing only the springs is probably a bad idea, for two reasons. First, with bad dampers, even with correct springs the ride is almost certainly still going to be crappy. And second, if the ride is still poor and you decide to replace the struts/shocks, you'll end up paying to do the same work over again up front (since the springs and struts are mounted together). I don't see any problem buying used springs. I don't know what a shop would charge to swap everything out. I don't think it's terribly difficult to do the work myself (I installed KW coil-overs on my car), but obviously everyone has different levels of mechanic skills, and I don't know what you're comfortable doing or what access you have to tools.
I was told this strut shocks would fit in my 2011 Cts Coupe, can anyone confirm??

Front Gabriel Ultra G51901

Rear Gabriel Ultra 70031

I heard Gabriel Ultra shocks are soft can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2011 Cts Coupe Shock strut?

I was told in Auto Zone this would fit my 2011 Cts Coupe 3.6 DI, RWD.

Front Gabriel Ultra G51901

Rear Gabriel Ultra 70031

Mine are Oem atm, they have oil on the side, which i was told they are bad, currently 41k miles i plan to replace them by this ones, im told usually Gabriel Ultra has a soft ride, maybe more like an FE1 suspension, but i prefer soft rather than Rough sporty ride.

Has anyone hsed this strut shocks??

Can someone confirm if they will fit my car?? I dont trust Auto Zone, dont want to get parts take to mechanic and be told they dont match :/. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was given an estimate of 200, not too bad, now im just wondering if those struts will fit my cts coupe, Aparrently Auto Zone said it fits any 2011 CTS either sedan or Coupe, would it really?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,149 Posts
Re: 2011 Cts Coupe Shock strut?

Did you try the Gabriel website? Maybe they have the info you need online.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its hard to believe, GM tells me, Sedan CTS and Coupe are different Struts. Auto Zone tells me all Cts"s no matter what uses same part # with Gabriel.. So it confuses me, how ACDelco has so many part numbers for each year cts and Gabriel Fits all? I hope it does im gonna purchase this ones Online on Ebay same part Gabriel costs like 50% cheaper than Auto Zone, what do you all recommend?

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,026 Posts
Have you checked Gabriel's website? I don't imagine there's anyone here that has Gabriel's catalog memorized :), so you can check their online catalog just as easily as the rest of us can.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts