Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a headgasket problem on a 98' seville. I want to replace the whole block. Now what do i do to remove the engine. Any thread or site that can point it out clearly would be the best. swaping the motor would be the easiest way or we might actually get new head gaskets, and bring the motor to a machine shop for rethreading and screws.

·
Registered
Cadillac DTS 2001
33 Posts
Hi, we have the same problem with the engine removal. I subscribed to alldatadiy.com (26.95 for the year) and it does give step by step directions for the engine removal; or anything else that needs to be done. I'm printing the pages out right now.
I actually wrote in last night the SAME time you did.

good luck on your "project".

Kim psummit

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
You don't need a new block. A set of Jake's studs, Timeserts, or Norm's Inserts will reapair your block threads, same as in any other Northstar block. Jake's studs would be preferred.

The entire drivetrain needs to come out the bottom of the car......you raise the front on jackstands unhook everything from the strut tower tops to the brakes to the exhaust to the electrical system, and lower the whole unit, then lift the body off and roll it back. Not fun - tedious if anything. Read all posts by Tateos on his work.

Use the search button up in the blue bar - there's a lot to read and see on engine removal.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
The easiest way is to drop the cradle by lifting the body off. This makes it very easy to work on the engine.

If the car ran well except for the HG's then just repair the HG's! Don't buy an engine you cannot hear run if you can avoid it. Kim psummit has bearing problems so that's different.

If you can remove the engine you can do the inserts. They are very straightforward, just tedious because you want to do all 20 of them.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html

There are other threads with tips and more pics, that's just mine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now i am interested in paying the 20 bucks at alldatadiy.com
But do they have any pictures of how to remove it? Also does it include all the torque settings for the bolts/screws??

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
I will not lie to you dave the alldatadiy version of removing the motor is pretty vague but it is great for torque specs and things, Tateos and Zonnie77 both have very good threads and I am putting together my own that will be live this time next week, I am basically taking pictures of each bolt, nut, etc. before I remove it and I will do a small description to go along with each picture, so if I where you I would start "doing some homework" with tateos and zonnies threads they are EXTREAMLY helpful, and hopefully my thread will prove helpful as well.

as to replacing the whole block it is really not necassary, Jakes stud kit is all you need (www.studkit.com)

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is there any way to take this off without the J 37088-A fuel line quick connect separator tool to disconnect the fuel inlet and return the lines (I put up a picture so you know what i am talking about.
Also how do i disable the SIR system?

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
I dont believe there is a way to disconnect the fuel lines without a tool, but I got the tool from autozone for 6 bucks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
I'm not sure either. I know the 3800 calls for a special tool. I bought it and found it easier to do with pliers.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
102 Posts
good luck man im doing the same job on my 99 deville but in the car and lets just say that their is a reason why some mechanics wont touch a northstar because it it MATICULOUS AND TEDIOUS:bighead::alchi::thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good luck to you also, once i heard the price at the mechanic i was i forget that:thehand:
Maybe this could help, im doing my job from this:
Look up **northstar engine removal by the book*** in google. It is the first link

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tateos, I looked into your thread a bit. Now after turning the bolt, you need to turn it with the correct torques, but switch torques after a certain degree, where can i find the exact settings? Also the torque for the other bolts, Service manual perhaps? Like in your threa, i dont want to under torque it because of oil pressure problems.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
Some bolts are tightened to a set torque as: Tighten sequentially, increasing to xx ft/lb. Others are torqued to a beginning xx ft/lb and then further tightened in 2 or 3 steps of say, 30 degrees. There's no set torque for that kind of procedure: the first torque step sets all the bolts on the assembly to a constant and the following degrees of tightening stretches each bolt equally.

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We got to the point where can almost drop the engine. We just need to disconnect the steering, What is the best way to disconnect this?
Also i read that everybody has problems removing the crankshaft. My question is if you are facing it do you turn the wrench clockwise or counterclockwise ??

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
Are you talking about the crankshaft dampener? Right = tight, left = loose. "Righty tighty, lefty loosey".

·
Registered
Cadillac
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got that down, now how do we disconnect the steering?
We only need this to drop the engine

1 - 20 of 28 Posts