Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Escalade ESV
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I went to replace my drl bulbs since one was out I went with led look...After i installed them one was very dim compared
to the other so I went and tried to maybe plug it in and out see what happens but during that time it started smoking from either the socket or led. Turns out it was the led because it didnt light back on and it smelt burnt.So i took them out.

Today I got a new pair to install them and none of the leds came on plus one good one from last week. So it cant be bulbs-( and i know to switch polarity on them,just in case you ask), I checked all the 10 amp fuses under hood a drl one and they are good. Even swapped the relay from headlights and nothing. I doubt it can be the
sockets they both worked until it started smoking and you would figure it was the socket it would be the one that burnt not the other one right???? Are there any other fuses inside vehicle?

Im not sure what else I can check...anyone have any ideas/suggestions???? thanks!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Is the sun sensor on the dash covered?

If you have a multimeter you can probe the wiring to check for voltage at the socket

There should only be one relay and one fuse for the drl's
I hope it didn't damage a wire in the process

----------

Also try a regular bulb and see if they work

·
Registered
'03 Escalade ESV
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the sun was going down when i started truck headlights went on so i switched them to off and put truck in drïve and drl didnt come on...wouldnt they come on like that?

Is the sun sensor on the dash covered?

If you have a multimeter you can probe the wiring to check for voltage at the socket

There should only be one relay and one fuse for the drl's
I hope it didn't damage a wire in the process

----------

Also try a regular bulb and see if they work

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
sosatyme72 said:
Well the sun was going down when i started truck headlights went on so i switched them to off and put truck in drïve and drl didnt come on...wouldnt they come on like that?
Is the perimeter lighting feature turned on in the drivers information center?(it's under the drivers settings)
If so then the drl's, puddle lamps and back up lights will kick on when you unlock the doors at night

The drl's do not function at night when the truck is in gear hence the name daytime running light
Turning the headlight switch to the far left will disable the auto headlight function which will turn off the drl's during the day till the ignition is turned off and back on them they are by default on auto(drl's at day headlights at night)

·
Registered
'03 Escalade ESV
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes usually when i lock/unlock the lights come on..

So you think i should just install thebulbs tom during day and see what happens?

Is the perimeter lighting feature turned on in the drivers information center?(it's under the drivers settings)
If so then the drl's, puddle lamps and back up lights will kick on when you unlock the doors at night

The drl's do not function at night when the truck is in gear hence the name daytime running light
Turning the headlight switch to the far left will disable the auto headlight function which will turn off the drl's during the day till the ignition is turned off and back on them they are by default on auto(drl's at day headlights at night)

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Install the bulbs and if they don't work at night then they may be bad as the feature should kick on
The drl's
Both puddle lamps
The back up lights
When you unlock the truck

I have the primetor lighting feature enabled and can fool the truck during the day into thinking its night by covering the sun load sensor

If the bulbs don't work flip them around in the socket (leds only get power one way) they should work

----------

I meant to add in the first part of my post after flipping them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts