Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 eldorado that I need hooked up to one of those diagnostic computers; it seems to have lost it "power" when I step on the gas. Only my reg mechanics computer only goes back 15 years, and he wants to be sure before he starts replacing parts, it has a tendency to be that when you fix one thing something else will happen so he wants to make sure he knows what’s wrong. My problem is that the only place that I know of that I would have a computer to hook it up to is the Cadillac dealer, and they charge 120/hr for diag work.... :( I live in Boston and wish I didn't have to spend 120 bucks just to find out the prob. then more money to fix it...??? Comments.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator. Little diaphram in the fuel rail near the injectors. I'm guessing your year has one. The little devils wreak havoc on engine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol well me personally I don't want to touch it.... and my mechanic wants to be sure before he goes replacing parts, so I don't know what choice I have, if I tell him to just replace what he thinks and its not that or something else goes wrong during the process i'm on the hook for the parts plus labor. vs if I know whats wrong....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm thats good to know, did you mean that the autozone is a visual check or checking the fpr is a visual thing and autozone uses there computer.... If so I wonder in theres will test on 88 eldo...??

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
A bad FPR won't throw a code on my 95 and I doubt it would on your car either. I'm not familiar with the 4.x engines FPR but it should be easy to check yourself. Might want to search around. Autozone will read the codes for free, however like you said it is possible your car's too old for them to read much like your mechanic... Is your service engine soon light even on? I don't think there will be any codes if the SES isn't lit up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts